Shell rot treatment recommendation

kyle123

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
England
Hi, I'm posted a few days ago about my turtle possibly having shell rot. I'm not sure it is but I'm going to treat the white patch on his plastron as if they are. I have been reading about and seen alot of places recommending Betadine. Was just wondering if anyone had any over recommendations over than betadine otherwise I'll go buy that

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
There are people much better placed to answer this question than me. But if you type Betadine into the search box on the forum there are a few posts on it.

From what I can read it should be used only initially and very cautiously.

There are a couple of other things recommended.

Have a look.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Post a picture so we can see if we can confirm it is shell rot. Lots of things can make a white spot on a shell.

Shell rot is a cheesy whitish substance that forms under the scute. If it is shell rot, the cheesy, softer white part must be scraped out exposing fresh tissue beneath. At that point an INITIAL treatment of betadine can kill a lot of the remaining rot and stop its spread. Repeated betadine treatments have a tendency to also damage the good tissue and slow healing. For the initial treatment, I mix in enough betadine to make a dark tea colored bath, and leave the turtle in for about 30 min. I then dry and apply an anti-fungal cream. Athlete's foot cream will work just fine. I like to dry dock in a warm, dark place for a few days keeping the anti-fungal cream on the rot areas and giving it a chance to work.

If the shell rot is extensive, it can lead to/be an indication of a systemic infection and a vet visit and antibiotic would be needed.