Shell Rot

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Scrub the plastron with a soft bristle tooth brush to remove any dirt and debris. Rub in some Betadine and allow that to dry. When dry, apply athlete foot cream to the affected area. Betadine is not needed after the first application. Daily clean off the plastron and re-apply the athlete foot cream. This should be done daily for a week.

(If you don't know if it's shell rot or fungus, using the athlete foot cream is a benign treatment and will do no harm to the tortoise or his shell.)

The fungus is killed off easily, however it takes a little longer for the shell to show new re-growth.

shell rot.jpg

Last edited:

Dragon

michagin
ok iv only had my sissy for 5 days now and i see a lot of posts about shell rot... I proubly havent read far enough yet but i want to do what i can to prevent sissy from getting it if possable. Could you tell me what causes shell rot and if theres a way to prevent it?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Shell Fungus. Shell Rot.
Probably not time to split hairs. I think this one might be right on the fence.
The cause has already been pointed out.
And so has the cure.
Redfoot need high humidity. But they must be kept on clean substrate that isn't kept wet.

Dragon

michagin
ok got it, now to make sure my info is correct, ( by reading the directions on the substucter bag) Just how often should you clean / change your substructer materal? and since i got the substructer materal from the reptail store i bought her from and have since being on this sight relizing there information is often incorrect.... what brand/kind of substructure is best for my russin tourturs? and how much substructure does she need? They sold us just one bag but if im reading things correctly they like to dig and what i have now is not enough for her to cover herself up in although she does push it around and now has like little hills and vallieys of it