Shell rot

j_caouette

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1499273366.672905.jpg
Hi everyone! I was wondering if this is shell rot or a fungus on my hatchlings plastron. I did soak him and gently brushed it with a soft toothbrush and most of it came off (that was yesterday). When I checked him today I Noticed it came back. I've had him for almost 2months now and had it since I got him.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
It is really hard to tell what that is, but it wont do any harm to treat it for a couple weeks with antifungal cream. What can you tell us about the substrate and humidity levels in your enclosure? If your tort does have shell rot you may need to make some changes.

j_caouette

It is really hard to tell what that is, but it wont do any harm to treat it for a couple weeks with antifungal cream. What can you tell us about the substrate and humidity levels in your enclosure? If your tort does have shell rot you may need to make some changes.
The substrate is a mix of cypress mulch and sphagnum moss, the humidity is between 80-95%

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Like @MPRC said.
Treating will do no harm.
A tip..The athletes foot cream sold at the DOLLAR STORE has the same active ingredient at the same percentage as the $14.95 cream.
Owning athletes foot cream is something I would suggest be in every Redfoots first aid kit.

j_caouette

Thank you guys for the help and tips! I just soaked and scrubbed him again then applied some of the cream.