Shell rot?

amber.noelle

Location (City and/or State)
TN
Hi! So, I noticed on my baby Hermann's a soft spot on the under side of his shell. I didn't know if that was shell rot starting? If so, what causes that and how can I treat him? The top side of his shell seems to be okay.

1B35F1E8-7D9D-47C0-87EB-9136BB59F7F5.jpeg289F32E4-CDDB-472A-9B7B-DEDF35CDBB91.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's just the umbilical scar. Hopefully it will slowly start to disappear as he grows more shell. All baby tortoises have fairly soft plastrons for about 6 months to a year from hatch.

amber.noelle

TN
That's just the umbilical scar. Hopefully it will slowly start to disappear as he grows more shell. All baby tortoises have fairly soft plastrons for about 6 months to a year from hatch.
That didn't even occur to me, that makes me feel better lol. Thank you!

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi! So, I noticed on my baby Hermann's a soft spot on the under side of his shell. I didn't know if that was shell rot starting? If so, what causes that and how can I treat him? The top side of his shell seems to be okay.

View attachment 304565View attachment 304566
Yvonne is correct. That area should be treated like the "soft spots" (fontanelles) on the top of a newborn human baby's head. Please be careful not to poke at that area and break through the newly healing shell and bone into the abdominal cavity. That would be very bad.

amber.noelle

TN
Yvonne is correct. That area should be treated like the "soft spots" (fontanelles) on the top of a newborn human baby's head. Please be careful not to poke at that area and break through the newly healing shell and bone into the abdominal cavity. That would be very bad.
Noted, thank you for the info!