Shell Rot?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No, shell rot happens on the plastron, bottom shell.
What are you using for inside heat and what bulbs? Looks like it's gotten to dry.
@Yvonne G @Tom

kiramcathey

Tucson, AZ
No, shell rot happens on the plastron, bottom shell.
What are you using for inside heat and what bulbs? Looks like it's gotten to dry.
@Yvonne G @Tom
We live in Arizona so no bulbs during the summer (still summer here, low about 70, high about 100). But that would make sense that he got too dry. We’ve had a dry monsoon season.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yeah, you have had an awful hot summer. Do you have misters or sprinklers set up in his area? You need to try and get some humidity lol, I know, hard there to do that. But misters or sprinklers on a timer going off several times a day would help.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Check shade and ensure it has water it can soak in. I would rub coconut oli into the dry scutes to see If that helps and ensure cacium for strong bones, claw, beak and shell is introduced as power on fresh food and cuttlefish in the enclosure.

kiramcathey

Tucson, AZ
Yeah, you have had an awful hot summer. Do you have misters or sprinklers set up in his area? You need to try and get some humidity lol, I know, hard there to do that. But misters or sprinklers on a timer going off several times a day would help.
Yes I’ll order some misters for a timer! We do soaks and have accessible water, but definitely not enough. Thanks!

kiramcathey

Tucson, AZ
Check shade and ensure it has water it can soak in. I would rub coconut oli into the dry scutes to see If that helps and ensure cacium for strong bones, claw, beak and shell is introduced as power on fresh food and cuttlefish in the enclosure.
Ooo coconut oil - great idea. I have toddlers and coconut oil was the solution for everything when they were infants.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Ooo coconut oil - great idea. I have toddlers and coconut oil was the solution for everything when they were infants.
I apply on kitchen paper and rub in and all over the top only. Be very careful round the face and neck but you may be better to apply to the the broken bit using your finger.