Wild caught tortoise shell rot

beth.greene86

Location (City and/or State)
New Palestine, IN
We recently acquired a Russian tortoise. From what I’ve read and researched on here, he is wild caught, and at least ten years old. I’m concerned about possible shell rot. Is this shell rot or wear and tear on an older wild tortoise?

Attachments

• IMG_9522.jpeg
    IMG_9522.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9521.jpeg
    IMG_9521.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We recently acquired a Russian tortoise. From what I’ve read and researched on here, he is wild caught, and at least ten years old. I’m concerned about possible shell rot. Is this shell rot or wear and tear on an older wild tortoise.
Russians don't typically get shell rot. That is just normal wear and tear.

beth.greene86

New Palestine, IN
I'm not seeing any shell rot.
Awesome thank you! There’s so many posts on this topic when I did a Google search and when I searched here, and none of them seemed to definitively outline with clear photos exactly WHAT shell rot looks like, so I was concerned some of the pitting/flaking between scutes could be due to bacteria or fungus. I see all responders are really experienced and knowledgeable (Tom I printed off your care sheet as a resource to have in hand!) Any great photos or threads you could share that show a great example? Thank you for helping a newbie out!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.

beth.greene86

New Palestine, IN
This is perfect thank you! So it truly does look like a fungus. This is really helpful.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
This is perfect thank you! So it truly does look like a fungus. This is really helpful.
No, it doesn't look like a fungus on your tortoise, Zeropilots RF yes. It looks like a perfect older WC male Russian. I would not treat him with anything. You can if you want, put the cream on but likely a total waste of time as you likely will not see a change.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It meant that Russian tortoises seldom have NO battle scars. Just what was said. They often have battle scars.
Okay, I totally read it wrong. I thought he was saying they seldom have battle scars, which I know, he knows, is so not true. Russians, specially WC always have a ruff shell and battle scars.