Shell

jezwats

Location (City and/or State)
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hi all just joined as I am unsure if I have an issue I don't know how old my tortoise is as it was given to me as an older tortoise. She was housed in a viv with no lights in her early years but I have her in an open enclosure with soil and herbivore floor as well as Timothy hay or edible bedding in her rest area. She eats weeds from an outdoor enclosure or a feed tray and she loves dandelions so tends to munch these more than any thing else. I sometimes give her cucumber as a treat or peppers but most of her food is foraged weeds or from her feed trays. Her shell is looking really strange at the min any idea what's going on?

Attachments

• IMG20230429203623.jpg
    IMG20230429203623.jpg
    955.3 KB · Views: 3

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's great big bands of new growth. I can't say whether it's good or bad without seeing an overall picture of the tortoise. But since the tortoise's living arrangements seem to have recently changed for the better, I'm betting this is all good.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome. Can we see some pictures of the entire tortoise?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all just joined as I am unsure if I have an issue I don't know how old my tortoise is as it was given to me as an older tortoise. She was housed in a viv with no lights in her early years but I have her in an open enclosure with soil and herbivore floor as well as Timothy hay or edible bedding in her rest area. She eats weeds from an outdoor enclosure or a feed tray and she loves dandelions so tends to munch these more than any thing else. I sometimes give her cucumber as a treat or peppers but most of her food is foraged weeds or from her feed trays. Her shell is looking really strange at the min any idea what's going on?
Hello and welcome. I agree with Yvonne. You are seeing new growth as a result of better conditions.

Check this out and look for the temperate species care sheet near the bottom: