ShellRot or Bacteria please help

Shemdatrini

Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
Hi there. I am seeking help for my Southern Painted Turtle Rodney. He's 9 years old and I he has something but I don't know what it is. I've tried turtle fix to no avail. He has a 45 gallon breeder with an undergravel fto canister filtration setup lots of plants and guppy feeders. The water is super clean (tested regularly) and his basking area allows him to be completely out of the water. (96 is degrees F) I've also tired dry docking but I usually can only afford a few hours a week due to my work schedule and as a 5 in turtle he tends to only tolerate about 45mins before has to cool down in the water again. He does completely dry out though. The bits on the shell is not coming off (tried scraping gently with credit card) the bits on the carapace flakes off occasionally. I don't know if silver sulfide cream will work or something else. There's like 5 recommendations every time I look. Any ideas or suggestions are welcomed. Rodzilla and I have been through a lot he deserves the very best.

Attachments

• IMG_20171012_224712.jpg
    IMG_20171012_224712.jpg
    8.7 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20171012_224652.jpg
    IMG_20171012_224652.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20171013_175505.jpg
    IMG_20171013_175505.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 22

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
silver cream is good stuff as a topical , is he able to get out of the water , completely dry off and sun himself whenever he wants ? painted turtle do leave the water for extended periods of time naturally .

Shemdatrini

North Carolina
silver cream is good stuff as a topical , is he able to get out of the water , completely dry off and sun himself whenever he wants ? painted turtle do leave the water for extended periods of time naturally .

He can climb out whenever he wants be if a more skiddish turtle exists I'd fine it hard to believe. Sure he'll be at the too of the aquarium begging for food as fast as his little legs can manage. He occasionally even let's me touch his head and shell while he's swimming but outside of the water the slightest disturbance in the force and the boys for the water. I have to creep around if I know he's basking so as not to interrupt cause I know how important it is that he get a few good hours every day.

I will try and find the creme though.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Looks to me as if he is preparing to shed off his scutes. A normal process for painted turtles as they grow.