She's discovered she can climb!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bextort

5 Year Member
So in the past 24 hours, this is how I've found Shelby :)
ImageUploadedByTortForum1378647938.953610.jpg

She's clearly discovered she can climb
ImageUploadedByTortForum1378647962.856699.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winnipeg, MB
What a cute little thing! [TURTLE]

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE] & Aussie [DOG FACE][DOG FACE][DOG FACE] (@YWG)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
That is one reason they are so good at escaping. :D

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Moved: She's discovered she can climb!

Amazing little guys!!!

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
Now she has worked it out she wont stop!

I have one who likes to climb plants...

Last year it was aloe

Today he went for a cactus!

He has grown a lot in the interim... the Aloe no longer supports his weight!!

bextort

5 Year Member
Lol tell me about it, she's been doing it again tonight too on top of her hide. I left her tonight to see if she could get down as I took her down the first time she did it but tonight she went down herself (face first may I add) with a tad bump. Quite concerned about coming home from work and she's on her back though lol fingers crossed

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
Yes they are good at face planting!!

My Misha is actually good at self righting from all the times he has landed on his back!

bextort

5 Year Member
I hope this little one has the ability to get off her back if she's ever stuck lol cheeky little things.
Her personality amazes me

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Russians can be very agile climbers.

Has anyone warned you of the dangers of that sand substrate? I would highly recommend switching it for something else.

bextort

5 Year Member
No Tom but I have read in a few threads about it so today I have been out and bought some of this stuff ...
ImageUploadedByTortForum1378677901.755972.jpg

Coco fibre that you soak? Would you recommend this or could you advise me on something else? She spends the majority of the day out roaming the house or outside but is inside at night.

When I bought her (from a pet shop) she was in the sand/bark so kept her on that whilst she settled in but would really like to know what's best.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
bextort said:
No Tom but I have read in a few threads about it so today I have been out and bought some of this stuff ...

Coco fibre that you soak? Would you recommend this or could you advise me on something else? She spends the majority of the day out roaming the house or outside but is inside at night.

When I bought her (from a pet shop) she was in the sand/bark so kept her on that whilst she settled in but would really like to know what's best.

That stuff works great. I'm using it for my baby Russians right now and they love to burrow down into it. I have to play "find all the Russians" when it's time to take them outside for their daily sunshine.

It can be pretty messy when its loose, so I like to hand pack it down in the enclosure, then its only messy where they dig into it until you pack it down again.

Sasquatch77

5 Year Member
Indiana
I'm wanting to go 50/50 top soil and coco fiber. If I have roughly 12 square feet of space how many bricks of coco fiber do I need?

Mrturtle527

5 Year Member
Northern California
bextort said:

I use that for my two Russians and it is great, like Tom said it can be messy but it holds moisture well and keeps the humidity up. In my indoor ones its all use and outdoor I have this plus repti bark and top soil. They like the different textures and I find them hiding it all of it.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Try 3 40 lb bags of topsoil no additives and 6 bricks of coco coir. Then see if that gives you enough depth without allowing the tort to climb over the walls.

Some areas should be deeper than others and contour a hill or two to give a little more exercise.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.