Shop lights with uvb bulbs

DanH44

Location (City and/or State)
Syracuse NY
Just wondering if a normal t8 style shop light from Walmart or Lowe’s will fit a t8 uvb bulb? Seems a cheaper way to go and you can hang them

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
They will fit, but the output of the bulb and quality of UVB you get can be greatly affected. Not only the quality and type of ballast, but the type of reflector makes a huge difference. A good quality fixture made for UVB is not that much more and worth the money.

Calaveras

Sacramento area California
I wanted to do the same thing, but many manufactures are only selling the best lights in the new T5 size bulb. In a few years you may have difficulty finding T8 bulbs.

Decide what bulb you need first, then you can find a fixture that fits it.

DanH44

Syracuse NY
I have two yearling Redfoots. I can hang either 12-18 inches above substrate. Do you guys know of a good fixture I can hang above? I don’t have a screen to set it on.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have two yearling Redfoots. I can hang either 12-18 inches above substrate. Do you guys know of a good fixture I can hang above? I don’t have a screen to set it on.
A T8 produces hardly any UV. Get a HO T5 bulb and fixture if you actually want to proceed some usable UV. The ZooMed 10.0 HO might be your best bet at 12-18 inches. I prefer the Arcadia brand, but their 12% HO tubes must be mounted at least 18-20 inches, and even there they make really strong UV.

A meter is a must for setting your fixtures at the correct height. Solarmeter 6.5.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
For many years I'd advocated using the "Walmart, Home Depot" type under counter light fixtures with a T8 UVB tube in it.
I used this type of thing for years.
Then, recently I bought an actual UVB meter.....
Boy, was I wrong.
Two members on this very thread also helped me "see the light".