• No

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

petlady

5 Year Member
I live in a GREAT Climate, Kailua Hawaii. My friend wants to give me her beloved 65lb male Sulcata, I think she has too much on her plate, 3 young children, working etc... and she knows I'm a great pet owner. I have chickens, a dog, and 2 rabbits.
How do I decide if owning a Tortoise is right for me, how much work is involved?? Will he distroy my yard?
I haven't even asked my husband yet who may be totally against it because he didn't want me to get a goat because he said they eat everything in the yard. Anyway, I would appreciate any feedback. Thank you! :D:tort:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! The short answer is yes, they can destroy the yard. :( However they are easier then a goat in my mind to keep in a more confined space then the entire yard or to place certain parts or plants off limits by putting up a very strong (and solid is best) fence tall enough to not get over for the tortoise. Have you spent time around this tortoise? Did you enjoy yourself? Can you handle him when he gets bigger? Currently it sound like he is a little over half grown.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't own a sully, however, just from reading all i have from this forum, he will eat most of what is in your yard and may destroy what he doesn't eat. They also like to burrow. Not all will burrow, but if they do, some can dig a 15 foot tunnel. They can be very destructive. Yet, they can also be great pets. Good luck. Hopefully a sully owner can tell you what to do to try and keep the tort from burrowing, if that's possible.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Only you can make that decision. You have to listen to the pros and cons of keeping a bull-dozing monster in your yard, and decide if you can hack it. I'll give you a few:

Sulcatas don't walk AROUND any obstacle...they plow right through it.
If you don't provide a house where they can get cool in the summer and stay warm in the winter, they will dig a burrow that goes halfway to the center of the earth.
They knock over your well-established rose bushes.
They feel they MUST walk right next to the house on their "rounds" so that means they knock off little chunks of the stucco.
They can eat you out of house and home.
Sometimes they are aggressive to people who wander into their space.

If you feel you can put up with all that, you will be rewarded with a very entertaining creature in your back yard. They are so wonderful just to sit and watch. Some of them get to be almost dog-like, and very humanised. And the looks you get from non-tortoise people who come to visit. That's almost worth all the bad stuff all by itself.

I love my big tortoises...wouldn't trade them in for anything on earth, but I knew what I was getting into, and haven't been blind-sided by any bad thing they can think up.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I love my Sulcata and I wouldn't change a thing I have done, he is my best pal! But there is a lot to consider, specially with one that size and it sounds as if you have never raised a tortoise. Its a big decision and I hope if you get him, you will read all the info on here that you can so you can be sure to give him a proper home. They are a great companion once you get everything for them correct. I wish you the best on whatever decision you make. :) And let us know what you decide.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Welcome! It's a great thing that you came to this forum to ask first! Far too many people jump into owning Sulcatas without knowing what's in store! You'll find lots of advise and help here if you decide to adopt :)

There used to be a 'Sulcata Test' somewhere online, to see if you are prepared for a sulcata, but it seems it was taken down :(

Owning a tortoise (any tortoise) is so rewarding, but make sure you are ready! :)

petlady

5 Year Member
I sometimes feel like I already have a mini farm with the chickens, dog, rabbits and I do have to feed my worms (composting worms). What about the poop? Do you have to pick up their poop or is it a non issue?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Their poop is huge. So, unless you want to share the yard with big piles of poop, you will have to pick it up. Also, they tortoise can not share the yard with the dog. They will have to be separated , where the dog can not get to the tortoise.

Irish

5 Year Member
Orlando Florida
Do you due dilligence. If you have the space, can keep the tort safe and away from your dog, then What a Great opportunity!

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
I have also dogs chickens and 2 sulcatas,sharing the same backyard,they I know each other Since many many years though. also I never leave my dog un watched when she's outside. but that is a decision what you have to make on your own, the turtles all really like dogs... they come when they see you eat from your hands, mine never destroy the yard, but I build them a little borrow, and they have many hiding spots. good luck whatevee your decision may

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I will say this about Cooper. Since he has been raised the way I have raised him, he wont just bulldoze his way through stuff. He will actually backup and go around things. I guess I am just lucky that way! He is a special little guy, in my eyes anyways. :p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
[split] Should I adopt 65lb male? total newb here

If you can house a goat, you can house a big tortoise.

He will need a large area with a low wall. See through fencing doesn't work too well.

They typically do destroy any plants in their vicinity either by trampling or by eating it. If the area is large enough, you might be able to grow enough food to satiate his enormous appetite, and have him spare some of your plants.

skottip

10 Year Member!
Florida
Sulcatas will eat everything in site, including goats and dig holes big enough to bury goats.. lol

I used to have a big male and it dug a 6 foot deep hole x 8 feet long and used to trap my other tortoises in for days on end when they crawled in first..

My neighbors small child also went missing. Showed up soon after the tortoise emerged.(some of this story may be fictional)

lol

ashleym

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
Sulcatas don't walk AROUND any obstacle...they plow right through it.
If you don't provide a house where they can get cool in the summer and stay warm in the winter, they will dig a burrow that goes halfway to the center of the earth.
They knock over your well-established rose bushes.
They feel they MUST walk right next to the house on their "rounds" so that means they knock off little chunks of the stucco.
They can eat you out of house and home.
Sometimes they are aggressive to people who wander into their space.

Lmao! I love your description of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.