1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Pyramiding in Rescued Tortoise

Discussion in 'Sulcata tortoises' started by RescuedSulcata, Aug 15, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. RescuedSulcata

RescuedSulcata New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Glorieta, NM
    Hi: I work at an animal sanctuary and she has 3 sulcata. The owner confessed to me that she bought them from a pet shop when she saw them in a box. I believe this was at least 5 years ago. I expressed wanting one and the next thing I know she is giving me the male because he drives the 2 females crazy. She is not forthcoming with information but Darwin has what I would call severe pyramiding. He is lively and alert and has a good appetite. Are there long term consequences to this deformity or is it primarily an aesthetic issue? I feel pressured to get him out of there quickly so I will have a lot of questions about creating a habitat for him. I have already read a lot about the diet. I live in a rural mountainous area with cold winters. Thank you for any feedback,
  2. EllieMay

EllieMay Well-Known Member

East Texas
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Congratulations! The pyramiding won’t go away and depending on the severity, probably won’t cause issues. If he has growing left to do, the new growth can be smooth making the pyramiding look less severe. We would love to see some pictures. You’ll have to get busy building your new man a heated night box for winter in an escape proof yard.. do you know where to find all the Sulcata care sheets here on the forum? We are glad you found us and looking forward to seeing your progress! Welcome!
  3. Boogeyman

Boogeyman Active Member

Congrats... please post some pics
  4. RescuedSulcata

RescuedSulcata New Member

Glorieta, NM
    BD5A2805-0349-4062-A635-7547D4BA36B1.png This is him still at the sanctuary. I don’t have him home yet.