Pyramiding in Rescued Tortoise

RescuedSulcata

Location (City and/or State)
Glorieta, NM
Hi: I work at an animal sanctuary and she has 3 sulcata. The owner confessed to me that she bought them from a pet shop when she saw them in a box. I believe this was at least 5 years ago. I expressed wanting one and the next thing I know she is giving me the male because he drives the 2 females crazy. She is not forthcoming with information but Darwin has what I would call severe pyramiding. He is lively and alert and has a good appetite. Are there long term consequences to this deformity or is it primarily an aesthetic issue? I feel pressured to get him out of there quickly so I will have a lot of questions about creating a habitat for him. I have already read a lot about the diet. I live in a rural mountainous area with cold winters. Thank you for any feedback,

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Congratulations! The pyramiding won’t go away and depending on the severity, probably won’t cause issues. If he has growing left to do, the new growth can be smooth making the pyramiding look less severe. We would love to see some pictures. You’ll have to get busy building your new man a heated night box for winter in an escape proof yard.. do you know where to find all the Sulcata care sheets here on the forum? We are glad you found us and looking forward to seeing your progress! Welcome!

RescuedSulcata

Glorieta, NM
BD5A2805-0349-4062-A635-7547D4BA36B1.png This is him still at the sanctuary. I don’t have him home yet.
Congratulations! The pyramiding won’t go away and depending on the severity, probably won’t cause issues. If he has growing left to do, the new growth can be smooth making the pyramiding look less severe. We would love to see some pictures. You’ll have to get busy building your new man a heated night box for winter in an escape proof yard.. do you know where to find all the Sulcata care sheets here on the forum? We are glad you found us and looking forward to seeing your progress! Welcome!