Should I adopt this tortoise?

Location (City and/or State)
Croydon
Hello All,

On my new adventure to find a lil rock of my own I have been thinking long and hard about what would be best...

So I found I am a worrier and get very protective as I found caring for Sheldon... So I don’t think getting a hatchling that I would want to watch over every minute would be best for me. The next obvious option was to take on/ adopt a tortoise that is a bit more grown.

I have been looking long and hard since reuniting Sheldon with his real owner and have found a beautiful tortoise!

The owner says that they have had it since 1yrs and it is now 8yrs they have said it is a male and they are getting rid of it as they have 3 tortoises, 2 male and 1 female and this was keeps fighting with the other male where as the other male seems more relaxed. They have said it is a Hermanns tortoise...

Can anybody confirm it is from the pictures?!

Thanks again everyone, am going to see this beauty tomorrow! Very excited! <3

IMG_2005.jpg

IMG_2008.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can't confirm it's a hermanns but @HermanniChris can and so can others.
What I would say is the people rehoming it should not be keeping the other two they have in as a pair. The male will try too breed the female to death. They are right though to not have two males together specially with one female.
That said, this tort has a lot of pyramiding but that doesn't mean it's not a bad tort or unhealthy. If you want it then get it. It does need a better home.

Croydon
I can't confirm it's a hermanns but @HermanniChris can and so can others.
What I would say is the people rehoming it should not be keeping the other two they have in as a pair. The male will try too breed the female to death. They are right though to not have two males together specially with one female.
That said, this tort has a lot of pyramiding but that doesn't mean it's not a bad tort or unhealthy. If you want it then get it. It does need a better home.

Thanks for the message! Always love hearing back from people! :)

That is what I thought when I heard about them having 3 tortoises but I guess I would be doing it a favour by the sounds of it?!

Is the pyramiding a problem? Sheldon had that a bit so I have gone out a brought cuttlebone and a multivitamin sprinkle to help it.

Thanks again!

Croydon
Thanks all! Quite excited I have to admit!!!

I did think he looks quite big but I guess it’s like people each one is different and special in their own way :)

Anybody from the UK and know about transferring the paperwork/ microchip across in to my name if/ when I get him?!

Croydon
Definitely a Hermann’s most likely eastern.

Hello Chris, sorry to bother you but know your a total tort guru!!!

Picked up the beauty over the weekend but think the bum/ tail is swollen and being told it might be female... please can you have a look at these pictures and give any advise?!

Many thanks in advance!!!

IMG_2016.jpgIMG_2017.jpg

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
It is a female yes. It doesn’t look swollen, it looks more as those the tail was bent backward and the puckering around the vent is pushed outward and is now more exaggerated. The bending backward of the tail is common in Hermann’s tortoises raised in captivity on certain substrates/depths.

Croydon
It is a female yes. It doesn’t look swollen, it looks more as those the tail was bent backward and the puckering around the vent is pushed outward and is now more exaggerated. The bending backward of the tail is common in Hermann’s tortoises raised in captivity on certain substrates/depths.

Thank you sooo much! Have been panicking that it has a blockage as the previous owner said it liked to eat stones...

Going to have to think of a new name for her now then!!!

Thanks again really appreciate it!!

TORT GURU!!!

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I just found the story of finding Sheldon and his reunion with his owners. What an awesome thing you did - I'm glad you now have a little one of your own :)