Should I feed my Mediterranean tortoise butternut squash?

Wally80

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hello, I am a new tortoise owner and I was wondering if butternut squash is a good vegetable to add to his diet? If so how should I prepare it? And if you have any other suggestions they are welcome. :)

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I feed my Russian Tortoises butternut or spaghetti squash or pumpkin 1-2 times a week, but mainly they eat a mix of greens and weeds and flowers.

I buy the butternut squash frozen and cubed from my supermarket, and feed it to them raw, just thawed.

Jamie

Wally80

California
I feed my Russian Tortoises butternut or spaghetti squash or pumpkin 1-2 times a week, but mainly they eat a mix of greens and weeds and flowers.

I buy the butternut squash frozen and cubed from my supermarket, and feed it to them raw, just thawed.

Jamie
Thank you so much, this helps a lot:)

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I don’t feed it that often but it’s a good food and it’s good to mix in some “orange” food among the weeds. Sweet potato/yam is another orange one that’s nice to give them now and again. I usually just cut off a small piece at the end.

It’s okay if it takes them a while to get through all of it; they don’t have anything else to do!

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
I feed it to mine sometimes, not very often though.

Wally80

California
I don’t feed it that often but it’s a good food and it’s good to mix in some “orange” food among the weeds. Sweet potato/yam is another orange one that’s nice to give them now and again. I usually just cut off a small piece at the end.

It’s okay if it takes them a while to get through all of it; they don’t have anything else to do!
[/QUOTE
Thank you for the suggestion can’t wait to feed my tort.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello, I am a new tortoise owner and I was wondering if butternut squash is a good vegetable to add to his diet? If so how should I prepare it? And if you have any other suggestions they are welcome. :)
Its fine to feed some about once or twice a week, but grate it up and mix it in with other greens.

Read this for more diet info:

Wally80

California
Its fine to feed some about once or twice a week, but grate it up and mix it in with other greens.

Read this for more diet info:
Ok thanks this is super helpful:)

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
When my husband carves his pumpkins each Halloween, I keep the pulp he scrapes out. I form them into little patties and freeze them on trays. After they are frozen, I toss them into a freezer bag. Each week I defrost one and mix it into some chopped up greens and crushed dried flowers that I harvested during the summer. My little Russian loves it!

Attachments

• 92B9351A-4AE0-42A9-830C-134F682A2369.jpeg
    92B9351A-4AE0-42A9-830C-134F682A2369.jpeg
    937 KB · Views: 5

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome.
www,thetortoisetable.org.uk is a good guide to tort safe foods that you may find helpful.