Should I feed my Russian Tortoise when she asks?

nnnoahhhhhhh

Location (City and/or State)
Keizer, Oregon
Hi! I’m still new to owning a tortoise and I have a question about feeding her. I give her the recommend amount of food every morning, but she’ll come over to the place I feed her later in the afternoon. Is she hungry? Should I give her a little bit more food?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi! I’m still new to owning a tortoise and I have a question about feeding her. I give her the recommend amount of food every morning, but she’ll come over to the place I feed her later in the afternoon. Is she hungry? Should I give her a little bit more food?
The recommended amount is a large pile that lasts all day so they can graze whenever they want. If there isn't any to graze on then you did not give enough initially and should certainly add more.

Sounds like you found the usual wrong care info. Food deprivation is recommended in a lot of the old wrong care info. We don't recommend that anymore. Here is the current and correct care info. Questions are welcome: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
As mentioned above please provide fresh water 24 x7 and fresh food in the day which is cleared out in the evening and replenished daily.