Should I get another?

Brylee

5 Year Member
I have had 2 leopard tortoises for 3 years now, and they seem to do well together. Usually they're found sleeping together; only occasionally have I ever witnessed them being mean to one another. I know leopards are independent, but when I had bought mine, my dad insisted I have two so that they have company. Now that they're getting bigger, I'm wondering if I should get another to create a small group instead of the pair... I've read they're better in small groups but I wasn't too sure. Any input would be great! Thank you!

teresaf

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Port Charlotte, Florida
'Sleeping together' is usually a dominance issue. One trying to dominate the other. One following the other? Intimidation. That's stressful to the one being stalked/bullied. I would recommend another of the same size if you cant manage separate enclosures for the two you have. Do you know if you have males or females? One of each? If you have two males you may be stuck separating them. If a male and female another female may help if your enclosure is big enough. If two females another female is still probably best unless you want to deal with eggs in future.

Brylee

5 Year Member
They usually mind their own business unless it's eating time or time for bed. The vet thinks one is male and one is female but I'm not for sure.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
You can probably post picks of their Plastrons to get professional opinions( and some not so professional- like mine)from forum members. We like playing the 'is it male or female' game.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
my main question is. Why do you want to create a small group? I'm only asking for curiosity reason I'm not judging you.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I honestly think you're getting another tortoise for the wrong reason you're hoping to fix the problem by adding another what if it doesn't work then what do you do?

Alaskamike

South Florida
The size of your enclosure makes a difference. Is it outside ? Also if you decide to add another , the size of the tortoise matters. It should be close to your existing ones. Otherwise you are setting up a dominance problem.

Separate and varied hides , sight barriers and abundant food / water help reduce competition for resources.

Groups of babies can be kept inside on a tortoise table , but not juveniles By the time they are 2-3 yrs old a group needs lots of space.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The size of your enclosure makes a difference. Is it outside ? Also if you decide to add another , the size of the tortoise matters. It should be close to your existing ones. Otherwise you are setting up a dominance problem.

Separate and varied hides , sight barriers and abundant food / water help reduce competition for resources.

Groups of babies can be kept inside on a tortoise table , but not juveniles By the time they are 2-3 yrs old a group needs lots of space.
Babies on a tortoise table? babies in an enclosed chamber much better.
If you don't have a lot of room to house them outside all year, or a large room to house them when inside, I would stick with the pair and seperate or rehome one. Also, I would not get another until you know for sure the sex of the ones you have. They all look female for quite some time. Some will mature slower then others. If you do have a male and female and you do want to have some babies, then you can put them together once in a while for breeding but then they still have to live apart.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Where did you read that leopard tortoises do better in small groups? I would not agree with that. That's not to say they that they can't be kept in groups successfully, but it's generally understood that they are solitary animals and therefore do better by themselves.

There are a lot of different factors to consider when adding another tortoise. How much space do you have to offer? Do you have the ability to separate tortoises that don't get along together?

nextep

I think you should stay with the pair, although Leopards can do well in groups, I personally believe you're buying a tortoise for the wrong resons. I would only but it if I really wanted another tort because I like them and I want to have another, If it's only to solve a not really existant problem then I personally wouldn't buy it. [emoji5]