Should I give Mr Fre heartworm medicine year-round when he's not being exposed to mosquitoes?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
I would really rather just do revolution when he could be exposed to fleas or mosquitoes. He's never going to be exposed to ticks. Around here it's only during the summer that I'll have to deal with mosquitoes and doubtfully fleas. If I use a topical it will have to be compatible with a rabbit. I've been using simparica trio. I hate it because it's oral. What do my friends here think? So I guess my question is should I prevent heartworm year round or just when Mr Fre could be exposed to mosquitoes. He's a total house dog and doesn't have to be outside ever unless it's a beautiful day. He has his very own toy let 💩💦😊

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No, the giving heartworm all year round is a scam the vets came up with. I used to work for a vet, years ago. If you live in a cold snowy place, you won't have mosquitos.
I do not give mine dog heartworm year round.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
No, the giving heartworm all year round is a scam the vets came up with. I used to work for a vet, years ago. If you live in a cold snowy place, you won't have mosquitos.
I do not give mine dog heartworm year round.
Thank you so much for verifying my opinion. Sometimes in the summer I do have mosquitoes in our yard. But Mr Fre is not an outside dog and I could treat him or not. I was thinking it would be good if I only use the spot in the months he could be exposed to mosquitoes. So far I'm just seeing that mosquitoes are the cause of heartworms.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I don't. I I give my dogs a break from medications in the winter. They usually get 5 months of monthly flea and tick, plus heartworm meds, depending on the weather. No need to over medicate in my opinion.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you so much for verifying my opinion. Sometimes in the summer I do have mosquitoes in our yard. But Mr Fre is not an outside dog and I could treat him or not. I was thinking it would be good if I only use the spot in the months he could be exposed to mosquitoes. So far I'm just seeing that mosquitoes are the cause of heartworms.
Yes, mosquitos are the only cause of heartworm.

Owllea

NE Kansas
Heartworms take 6 months to mature. A bite from a mosquito that transmits heartworm larvae in summer would mean a mature heartworm over winter.
Heartworm preventive is a dewormer, targeting a certain life stage of the heartworm (I believe larval stage 3 and 4).
In theory, if a dog was infected with heartworm in summer or late fall, stopped taking preventive in fall/winter, and the larva hadn’t matured to the target/responsive age yet, you could see a heartworm positive the next year on testing.
I treat year round in the Midwest, but we also have horrible ticks all year, winters have 60 plus degree weather these days, and anything above 60 is fair game for mosquito bites.
Just a bit more detail to help with your decision.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
the temperature needs to not drop below the mid 50's for 2-4 weeks for a mosquito to be able to transmit heartworm....... any 2-4 week stretch with temps remaining above ~55F is a period a mosquito can transmit heartworm to your dog..... ohio, probably may thru september..... after 7-8 months off, unless your just using ivermectin, it'd be safest to have your dog checked for heartworm before you resume treatment.....

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Heartworms take 6 months to mature. A bite from a mosquito that transmits heartworm larvae in summer would mean a mature heartworm over winter.
Heartworm preventive is a dewormer, targeting a certain life stage of the heartworm (I believe larval stage 3 and 4).
In theory, if a dog was infected with heartworm in summer or late fall, stopped taking preventive in fall/winter, and the larva hadn’t matured to the target/responsive age yet, you could see a heartworm positive the next year on testing.
I treat year round in the Midwest, but we also have horrible ticks all year, winters have 60 plus degree weather these days, and anything above 60 is fair game for mosquito bites.
Just a bit more detail to help with your decision.
Yes, if you live in an area that has mosquito all year then yes of course you treat all year. Those that don't, don't need to treat all year!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I agree with Barb, I say NO. If you do some research on what it takes for a mosquito to transmit it to a dog. The odds of that happening are very very slim. About 4 years ago when Rocket started showing his age and was diagnosed with fluid around the heart I had him checked for anything and everything. Even heart worms, the vet said they have never had a case with heart worms. But I spent the $30 for that test just to make sure.