Shrimp's habitat pictures and CHE help please

chaseswife

5 Year Member
Here is what I have created for Shrimp. The bottom is a sandbox that he came with. It is 32x45 inches. The top is what I made- with wooden dowels, duct tape, shower curtains, hot glue, and 2 zippers. The whole thing can be lifted off, and the front panel opens with the 2 zippers.

It holdsthe humidity really well. I finally got the daytime temperatures decent- he isn't being cooked and he isn't too cold. But over night it got down to 75 degrees in there- it is supposed to stay at least 80, right? And as it cools down heading into the fall it will drop down even lower than that (at night- we will still be running the AC during the day for a long time :(). We hardly ever run the heater- we just add socks and sweatshirts when it gets cold! So, I need to invest in a CHE with a control to shut it off when it goes above 80 from the daytime lighting. Right? I see plenty of CHE'S at the pet stores, but not ones with controls to set a temp. I am assuming that is an add-on. Where do I buy that? Is it an actual pet product- or am I shopping at home improvement stores again? Could someone recommend a good product for this?

And I had to include that last picture of shrimp- he hasn't been to sure about the new additions to his home.

Attachments

• 1410880711195.jpg
    1410880711195.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 88
  • 1410880743095.jpg
    1410880743095.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 85
  • 1410880785205.jpg
    1410880785205.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 84
  • 1410880840310.jpg
    1410880840310.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 80

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
I have to recommend my thermostat from Big Apple Pet supply. Not cheap but worth it. It has a probe that is sturdy and a dial to set what temp you want. Then plug in the heating source. You have to decide where to place the probe of course.

chaseswife

5 Year Member
@naturalman91 everything I see on amazon with that brand is labeled as being for heat mats. Do they work the same with CHEs?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Wow, that is lovely! I would make the humidity go just a little higher :) The design is a fabulous idea, that's just a raised garden bed, right? Where did you get the thing on top?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Wow, that really is an awesome idea :D Sorry, I just looked at the main humidity thing! I bet he loves it in there! really, I applaud you on that idea, it's really fabulous, it's just like a little tort sauna! :p

chaseswife

5 Year Member
Thank you! I put in the picture of shrimp staring down the thermometer just because I thought it was silly. He hasn't been to sure about the thermometers in there. I have one in the basking spot that he keeps trying to hide behind, and he has completely knocked over the cool side thermometer twice today.

I ordered the thermostat for a CHE that should be here soon, and then the next step will be getting some tortoise safe plants going for decoration and food.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Hibiscus are great, and will thrive in the humid and conditions... your little guys got the good life going on :D

chaseswife

5 Year Member
Thank you everyone! My thermostat got here yesterday and today my dh helped me get a second hook into the counter so I could hang the CHE into Shrimp's enclosure. Now just crossing my fingers that everything works right and he stays nice and warm overnight! I reset my thermometers just before turning off the lamp so I can know exactly how low the temps go over night and I can adjust the thermostat as needed.