Sick Baby Russian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

olympictort

5 Year Member
I got a baby russian tortoise 3 days ago and its 2 months old. The people at the vivarium said it would be normal if he didn't eat for a day or two, but he still hasn't eaten and his condition is declining. He isn't opening his eyes anymore and I see snot bubbles, not to mention the fact that he hides half his face in his shell. We are bringing him back tomorrow night, but I'm worried he won't make it until then, any idea whats going on? What does he have? How do I help?

PS.
The cage has always been at the proper temperatures. We triple checked the thermostat's thermometer with a separate one, both are laying on the floor of the cage. He has been offered a variety or lettuces and some pureed carrots.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Thus is not a readjustment issue, it sounds like a respiratory infection. A vet visit is a good start, keeping him warm will help him.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi olympictort:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

So sorry about your new tortoise. Taking him back where you got him is the best thing, as they don't decline as quickly as yours has, which means he was ill when they sold him to you.

olympictort

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the advice guys... They said he had a heat stroke in the car on the way home... He is under their care now. If he gets a little better, one of the staff will take him home... Otherwise... He may not make it unless he starts to eat. They are giving me a baby Marginated on Saturday to replace him.

Status
Not open for further replies.