Sick baby tortoise

Kybry00

Location (City and/or State)
Oxnard
I have a 4-month-old baby Russian tortoise he is smaller than the rest of his clutch mates anyways he's very lethargic doesn't move doesn't open his eyes doesn't want to eat I don't know what I did wrong but I already took him to the vet he's still sick I'm so sad I cannot stop crying cuz I don't know what to do for him I love him so much I don't want to see him going through this so it's giving me great pain is there anybody that could give me some suggestions on what do they might think it is

LJL1982

UK
Here is a picture of him
Couple of things. Unless you bred them, you do not know they came from the same "clutch" and he could be slightly younger.

He could be smaller if he is a different sex to the others.

With tortoises, size isn't always a good indicator of health. Being active and eating well is.

So if he's very lethargic, that's not good. He could have something called hatchling failure syndrome, which causes certain hatchling to not thrive. Let's not write him off yet though as he could be lethargic for a number of other reasons.

Tortoises can become lethargic when bullied or feeling threatened and stressed, they are highly territorial and solitary creatures and in general become stressed and unwell when kept with other tortoises.

Impaction and dehydration are other reasons that tortoises will become lethargic and refuse to eat. It may be he has ingested some substrate and has a blockage or that he's very dehydrated.

You can't over bath a tortoise. So first things first are you bathing him daily for twenty minutes changing the water to maintain it at the temperature you would bath a child at? That will rehydrate him and help him pass anything that is blocking him up. Make sure temperatures are adequate so he doesn't get cold after bathing and offer him food then, when he's nice and warm from his bath.

Make sure he is getting the right food...dandelions, weed plantain, sowthistle, watercress, lamb lettuce, radicchio, and pak choi are all good, and kale can be fed in moderation. No fruit, tomato, carrot, Spinach, brocoli or Cabbage.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a 4-month-old baby Russian tortoise he is smaller than the rest of his clutch mates anyways he's very lethargic doesn't move doesn't open his eyes doesn't want to eat I don't know what I did wrong but I already took him to the vet he's still sick I'm so sad I cannot stop crying cuz I don't know what to do for him I love him so much I don't want to see him going through this so it's giving me great pain is there anybody that could give me some suggestions on what do they might think it is
First thing to do is separate him from the others. How many are there total? You don't want any to be housed as a pair.

Next get him away from the peat moss. They eat that and it causes impaction. That might be your problem.

Realize that most of the care info that you get online and from pet shops or vets is all wrong. Read all this info and be sure you are housing, heating feeding them correctly.

Here is info on how to start babies correctly. Did the breeder do these things?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
He is so pretty. Please try to follow the information and advice given, as best you can. Keep us posted, please. Good luck!

Kybry00

Oxnard
Follow what you said but it's not working he's still with argic she told me to give him critical care which I did and it's not working he seems really swollen like his little feet don't touch the ground when he's laying on his belly I'm doing what you guys are suggesting to me he's been in water all night but to keep the water warm I just hate interrupting him because you know he's sick nobody likes to be interrupted when they're sick so so I'm going to go out and get a heating pad to put underneath him I'll do anything to get him well I'm losing him is not an option for me losing him is losing me he is my world I love him and his sisters too and I did hatch them myself I think he is the middle baby to be born and I never saw anything was wrong with him because he was little just thought the mails are smaller than the females how do I free him from impaction
He is so pretty. Please try to follow the information and advice given, as best you can. Keep us posted, please. Good luck!

Kybry00

Oxnard
I immediately Followed what you said but it's not working he's still won't open his eyes his he hasn't changed positions and still asleep he won't even move I took him to the vet she couldn't figure out why he was acting the way he did but she told me to give him critical care which I did and it's not working he seems really swollen like his little feet don't touch the ground when he's laying on his belly but he's been that way forever but I thought it was he was chunky and healthy you know like babies should be I'm doing what you guys are suggesting to me he's been in water all night but to keep the water warm I just hate interrupting him because you know he's sick nobody likes to be interrupted when they're sick so so I'm going to go out and get a heating pad to put underneath him I'll do anything to get him well I'm losing him is not an option for me losing him is losing me he is my world I love him and his sisters too and I did hatch them myself I think he is the middle baby to be born and I never saw anything was wrong with him because he was little just thought the mails are smaller than the females how do I free him from impaction

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
He seems beyond any intervention now. Could be impaction from the moss. Follow the care sheets here to keep your other little ones healthy.

Reactions: Ink

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I immediately Followed what you said but it's not working he's still won't open his eyes his he hasn't changed positions and still asleep he won't even move I took him to the vet she couldn't figure out why he was acting the way he did but she told me to give him critical care which I did and it's not working he seems really swollen like his little feet don't touch the ground when he's laying on his belly but he's been that way forever but I thought it was he was chunky and healthy you know like babies should be I'm doing what you guys are suggesting to me he's been in water all night but to keep the water warm I just hate interrupting him because you know he's sick nobody likes to be interrupted when they're sick so so I'm going to go out and get a heating pad to put underneath him I'll do anything to get him well I'm losing him is not an option for me losing him is losing me he is my world I love him and his sisters too and I did hatch them myself I think he is the middle baby to be born and I never saw anything was wrong with him because he was little just thought the mails are smaller than the females how do I free him from impaction
Most vets don't know tortoise care. Plain and simple. Forcing food into an animal that cannot handle it or process it does harm. That doesn't help.

Let's start at the beginning. Who hatched this baby? What incubation media did they use? What sort of care did the baby receive after hatching? Was it indoors or out? How often was it soaked?

Kybry00

Oxnard
So the vet took My baby and try to nurse him back to hell but he died last night I'm so devastation My baby's gone there's nothing I can do oh my God oh my God this cannot be real no hey baby no no no no oh no no no

Kybry00

Oxnard
Keep on trying everything you’re doing now. Don’t give up!
I trusted the vet to help me with him and he died I'm so devastated I can't stop crying now it's my baby oh my God I Lost My baby!!!!!!!!! I'm never getting oh my God what did I do you speak moss and he ate it oh my God I loved him so much I'm so angry because he lasted a week he tried so hard to fight and I messed up I trusted the vet if only we had each other's numbers we could have talked can't stop crying and your life goes on I have four other babies but that doesn't besides the point I don't want this to happen to you my other babies so I took out the Coco fiber and I have them on a heat mattj listen I really need to talk to somebody I'm so devastated and I feel all alone

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Sorry for your loss. Coco fiber is fine. Not the moss or the heat matt. What are your temperatures and what lights do you have? You need to help the others. Please follow the care sheet.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Everybody gets to learn the hard way sometimes. Sorry the little guy died. Are you absolutely sure he was dead yet?

Kybry00

Oxnard
Sorry for your loss. Coco fiber is fine. Not the moss or the heat matt. What are your temperatures and what lights do you have? You need to help the others. Please follow the care sheet.
I'm using between 80 to 90 on the left side of the enclosure and then 72 I believe on the right side and the UVB and the UVA lighting I believe is 75 but I think and it's also I do use a heat mat it might not supposed to use a heat mat

Kybry00

Oxnard
Most vets don't know tortoise care. Plain and simple. Forcing food into an animal that cannot handle it or process it does harm. That doesn't help.

Let's start at the beginning. Who hatched this baby? What incubation media did they use? What sort of care did the baby receive after hatching? Was it indoors or out? How often was it soaked?
I hatched the baby myself

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
No heat mat. Were you able to read the care sheet that was attached on the post above? @Tom or @ZEROPILOT should give you better information. How old are your tortoises? I think your temperatures might be too low for hatchlings. However wait for an expert because I am not one.how are the rest doing? I hope you are doing better.

Kybry00

Oxnard
I hatched the baby myself
I have a soak dish in the enclosure I use an incubator that I bought online I believe the temperature that I had it at was 31 c I don't know what caused him to be so little than the rest but he was the littlest he wasn't even the baby he was like the middle hatchling the vet called me and told me that the tortoise died overnight so I really don't want to regret anything yes he was a little Russian tortoise full bred
Was it a little babie russian?