Sick Redfoot, please help!

tortilla4

Location (City and/or State)
South Dakota
Hi guys, I need your help! I just got done soaking my redfoot tortoise Sally and as usual she relieved herself in the water and she pooped out quite a few wood chips, (her substrate is Reptibark so it's small wood chips but still) and her pee was tinted pink which I can only assume would be blood. I wiped her tail and no blood came off there. It is typical that she eats a wood chip every now and then as it's hard to avoid because they stick to everything, but this time she passed at least ten of them and I've never seen her pee this color. She is eating now and seems okay but this had to be painful for her. What I'm wondering is two fold, first should I be worried for her health at all? Second what is the best type of substrate for a redfoot tortoise? I just adopted her this fall and that is the substrate that her previous owners used but I am starting to see that it may not be the best for little Sally. I am learning and trying to give her what's best but I need your advice. This is so alarming and I'm really worried about her. Please help! (I apologize for the graphic details of the problem but I didn't think I should leave out any details! :eek:)

tortilla4

South Dakota
I use cypress mulch with my redfoot.

I hope your tort is feeling better.

Jamie
Thank you Jamie. She was making laps around her tank, diving out of her water dish and eating so I'm hoping she's okay and has learned her lesson. Do you have a problem with your redfoot eating his mulch at all? Accidentally or on purpose?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I haven't seen him eating any, nor seen any in his poop (although it could have been digested).

J

tortilla4

South Dakota
Hi guys, I need your help! I just got done soaking my redfoot tortoise Sally and as usual she relieved herself in the water and she pooped out quite a few wood chips, (her substrate is Reptibark so it's small wood chips but still) and her pee was tinted pink which I can only assume would be blood. I wiped her tail and no blood came off there. It is typical that she eats a wood chip every now and then as it's hard to avoid because they stick to everything, but this time she passed at least ten of them and I've never seen her pee this color. She is eating now and seems okay but this had to be painful for her. What I'm wondering is two fold, first should I be worried for her health at all? Second what is the best type of substrate for a redfoot tortoise? I just adopted her this fall and that is the substrate that her previous owners used but I am starting to see that it may not be the best for little Sally. I am learning and trying to give her what's best but I need your advice. This is so alarming and I'm really worried about her. Please help! (I apologize for the graphic details of the problem but I didn't think I should leave out any details! :eek:)
@Redfoot NERD Could you take a look at this question for me? I just read your care sheet and I'm wondering if you have any thoughts. She is a four year old redfoot. Thank you!