Sick Russian tortoise?

lauraen8210

Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
I have had our Russian Tortoise for a few years now and for the last week she has been sleeping constantly, not even waking up to eat. Every other day I have been waking her up and putting her infront of her food and she'll eat a little, then go right back to sleep. She won't wake up unless I force her. She has never been like this before. I'm worried about her and not sure what to do. Any insight/recommendations are much appreciated!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Maybe she is trying to hibernate? I don't have a Russian, but if you would post pix of her, her enclosure, and the temps and humidity you keep her at.

Also, read this. You probably already did, but it might remind you of something that is a bit off from the previous years.

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Someone who has experience with Russians will help you further.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Hello from another Oregonian!
Like Karen said start with investigating your temps. Could your gauges be faulty? Analog gauges are notoriously inaccurate. Basking temp should be 95-100 and ambient temp 75-80. Are your lights on 12-14 hours a day? Is it super bright in the enclosure? If your tort is cold or it is kinda dark she will want to hibernate (brumate).
Do you soak her regularly? Do you have a UVB light? What do you feed her?
Have you noticed any snot or snot bubbles from her nose? Wheezy breathing? Gasping?
Like Karen said, post a photo of your enclosure and we can try to locate the problem.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I have had our Russian Tortoise for a few years now and for the last week she has been sleeping constantly, not even waking up to eat. Every other day I have been waking her up and putting her infront of her food and she'll eat a little, then go right back to sleep. She won't wake up unless I force her. She has never been like this before. I'm worried about her and not sure what to do. Any insight/recommendations are much appreciated!
Hello. I've noticed this year is different for my Russian also. I'm really watching humidity levels closely and it's helping. He comes out and eats everything on his tile.2 or 3times a day But just not every day.