Sick Sulcata needs Rescue--Inland Empire, CA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pet/3799981977.html
"Hi CL. I have a special needs tortoise for sale. It is too young to tell the gender. It has crusted shut eyes and hardly eats. If you get a tortoise learn how to care for one first, this tortoise is not free. I dont want a wreckless owner to take her/him and make her worse than she already is. she does however come with a tortise table and pebble food. The tortoise is around the size of a quarter. This is a Sulcata Tortoise. Contact me for price. My number is 951-808-2395. it is a small rehoming fee.
Here are some needs for the tortoise:
*soaked 1 or 2 times a day
*plenty of attention
*sun light
(most of these things are obvious) "

Texted for more info; Located in Corona, CA, $30 fee.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Great! I actually texted back and forth a bit last night. Supposedly, they found him wandering outside.

I made arrangements to get him if no one else does before I get down there (don't want him falling in the wrong hands). If I pick him up before you can, you are welcome to him! My hands are full as it is, I just don't want this baby to slip through the cracks. :)

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
It would be late Tuesday or Wednesday at the earliest with Mother's day and work. :( If you can get him before I can, that would be wonderful.

She sent one picture, said it's the only one she has:
bi9c7s.jpg

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
Just sent a text, but no response yet. Will they hold him for you? I can take him if you can get him. Where do you live?

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I live in Highland. If you don't hear back by this evening, I'll ask about having them hold him for me...

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
They responded but are picking and choosing the questions to answer. We can't get out there until after you would he able too. :(

If they can hold him for you, I will take him if you don't want to keep him.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Shoot. I got sucked into family drama and didn't get a chance to text tonight. I'll text tomorrow morning about having her hold him. Hopefully she agrees.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Texting with them now. I just found out I don't work tomorrow after all, so hopefully they'll be available to pick up tomorrow morning.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I have him! Unfortunately, he's in worse shape than I expected. He's skinny and dehydrated, as expected; but he's also very lethargic and won't open his eyes. :(

Gave him a warm water soak, now I'm getting an enclosure set up. Will post pics after he's settled in.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Floof said:
I have him! Unfortunately, he's in worse shape than I expected. He's skinny and dehydrated, as expected; but he's also very lethargic and won't open his eyes. :(

Gave him a warm water soak, now I'm getting an enclosure set up. Will post pics after he's settled in.

So glad you got him and that he has a chance now. I hope this one survives. Keep us posted.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Still need to add stuff (i.e. water dish), but here's how he's set up for the moment. This is the table he came with--24" long and 14" wide. Looks like the guy simply converted an old drawer. Chucked the hay and laid down eco earth instead.
128308_295146_VeryLarge_epLI5vrG5MiZL.jpg

128308_295147_VeryLarge_63Rgp6meNV.jpg

He came in at approx 2.125" SCL, and weighs 43 grams--a lot better than I expected! He weighs as much as my Leopard did when I rescued him (at 2.375" SCL and 2 years old). Makes me a lot more hopeful knowing he's at least heavier than my Leo was. Hopefully he bounces back just as well!
128308_295148_VeryLarge_NFYbzNVcAm2n.jpg

128308_295150_VeryLarge_evNlcV2wQagJ.jpg

128308_295149_VeryLarge_gwDmkaI8gdt.jpg

128308_295151_VeryLarge_wpBhHbZNwJ3n.jpg

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Aww, poor little guy. He's not looking good. Did he eat any of the flower(?) you offered him?

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
No, he doesn't seem to register the hibiscus petal at all. I'll try a bit of mazuri later this afternoon. It's nice and smelly, so hopefully it'll get his attention.

It looks like he passed away shortly after I put him away... :( The stress of today must have been too much for his system. Poor baby!! :(

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
oh sorry... I hate to pay people to 'rescue' their mistakes.. they don't learn from them...
If he is just resting.... babyfood soaks might be needed...

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
That is just so sad. I was hoping he could have been saved once in good hands, but obviously too much damage was already done. Do you know if they fed him anything other than the pellet food? That is probably why they couldn't get him to eat!

Thank you so much for trying to help him. I am so sorry he is gone. :(

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I strongly recommend you contact the seller and notify them of what happened.

They need to know.

Hopefully it helps them realize just how sick their tortoise was and either convinces them not to try again, or at least research better before hand.

I'm sorry this happened but thank you for trying.

Heather
sent while on my purple android TFOapp

Status
Not open for further replies.