Sick Sulcata!!

Motsumi

Location (City and/or State)
Humboldt California
Hi,

Yesterday Chester, my 2 year old Sulcata found a lg pile of dog poo that somehow got into his outdoor pen. By the time I went to see what he was so interested in he had already eaten all of it. He vomited a few times that night....making cat-hairball-noises. He vomited a couple times today and I noticed foam on his mouth afterwards.
The only other thing is I recently started feeding him hosta leaves and now I worry the snail bait around the plant may have poisoned the leaves! Help!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
He def. ate something toxic. The snail bait could have leached into the soil. Since he vomited, the worst is probably passed. For now eel an eye on him for changes, extra soaks will help.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi,

Yesterday Chester, my 2 year old Sulcata found a lg pile of dog poo that somehow got into his outdoor pen. By the time I went to see what he was so interested in he had already eaten all of it. He vomited a few times that night....making cat-hairball-noises. He vomited a couple times today and I noticed foam on his mouth afterwards.
The only other thing is I recently started feeding him hosta leaves and now I worry the snail bait around the plant may have poisoned the leaves! Help!

I also would remove any and all poison from any area that the tortoise has access to and/or where the food items he consumes comes from.....as advised, keep an eye on him....I also would do a few really long warm water soaks --keep all moving out...

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Ukiah Ca.
Oh sorry to hear about your tortoise. This sounds like pellet poisoning to me. Had ducks eat the snails after neibor baited them. Foamy mouth, vomit and all. um please there are other ways to get rid of snails then poison. I use course ocean salt just sprinkle around and they desolve and dye. There are other ways to. good luck with your tortoise