URGENT Please help! Speedy is deteriorating.

Speedy101

Location (City and/or State)
North East England
Does anyone have any suggestions as to when I can put substrate back down? As I said he’s on puppy pads at the moment so I can disinfect easily ( also so I can easily spot any poo if he decides to grace us with one). His second of worming is tomorrow, how long shall I wait after this? I think having substrate back will help him walk again. He’s trying so hard but he’s just unsteady and then sleeps soon after. I think a bit of traction from the substrate would help him. Rather than the flat, unforgiving floor of his home. Something softer may be easier for him. He is much more alert today, just gets tired quickly.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Now might be a good time to offer other greens, cut up very small, and in small amounts. Mix the cut up stuff into his lettuce and dampen the meal so it sticks to the lettuce. This will remind him of the taste of other better greens. If there is a food you want him to eat, but he wouldn't before he got sick, use this same method. Just a tiny amount at first, even if he only gets one bite with the newer food on it.

I don't know on the substrate. But if I was doing it, I would probably wait for a week after the last Panacur dose. You don't want to take a chance on reinfection. Does he usually poop in his soak? If you could catch it that way you probably could change the substrate any time.

Speedy101

North East England
Now might be a good time to offer other greens, cut up very small, and in small amounts. Mix the cut up stuff into his lettuce and dampen the meal so it sticks to the lettuce. This will remind him of the taste of other better greens. If there is a food you want him to eat, but he wouldn't before he got sick, use this same method. Just a tiny amount at first, even if he only gets one bite with the newer food on it.

I don't know on the substrate. But if I was doing it, I would probably wait for a week after the last Panacur dose. You don't want to take a chance on reinfection. Does he usually poop in his soak? If you could catch it that way you probably could change the substrate any time.

No he doesn’t usually do it in his soak, just passes urates. I will pick some weeds tomorrow for him and may add a few of his tortoise pellets to mix in. I’m praying he doesn’t lose his appetite again tomorrow after his last dose. Thanks for your advice :)

Speedy101

North East England
I bring news from Speedys vet visit! The vet was very pleased that he had started passing urates and eating. He said it was a massive step in the right direction. I asked about the lack of mobility and he seems to think speedy is just weakened because of the whole ordeal and could not find any other cause . However, he did say speedy put up more of a fight this time round when trying to feel his cloaca and also when administering the worming medication which seems good. Speeds is not very happy with me because of this visit and hopefully he does not lose all the progress he’s made and continues to eat. Oh and apparently the culprit was pinworms!

zovick

10 Year Member!
I bring news from Speedys vet visit! The vet was very pleased that he had started passing urates and eating. He said it was a massive step in the right direction. I asked about the lack of mobility and he seems to think speedy is just weakened because of the whole ordeal and could not find any other cause . However, he did say speedy put up more of a fight this time round when trying to feel his cloaca and also when administering the worming medication which seems good. Speeds is not very happy with me because of this visit and hopefully he does not lose all the progress he’s made and continues to eat. Oh and apparently the culprit was pinworms!
Good news! I wish you continued good luck with Speedy's recovery.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Good news! I wish you continued good luck with Speedy's recovery.
And I second that! I am so glad Speedy is turning around. It's a big relief isn't it? When I have something happen to one of the turtles or tortoises here like this evidently I carry around some anxiety over it, so that when the animal turns the corner there there is such a feeling of physical relief. I had 3 box turtles sick, two of them are eating and starting to act normal, the 3rd one, a deformed female 3-toed has swollen shut eyes that will only open in the soaking water. Only one opens but the next time I look at her both eyes are closed again.

Speedy101

North East England
And I second that! I am so glad Speedy is turning around. It's a big relief isn't it? When I have something happen to one of the turtles or tortoises here like this evidently I carry around some anxiety over it, so that when the animal turns the corner there there is such a feeling of physical relief. I had 3 box turtles sick, two of them are eating and starting to act normal, the 3rd one, a deformed female 3-toed has swollen shut eyes that will only open in the soaking water. Only one opens but the next time I look at her both eyes are closed again.
Im definitely relieved! I really hope your box turtle starts to get better soon :)

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
What a great job you’ve done to get Speedy on a road to good health! He’s very fortunate to have you.