Sick Tort New Vet

DesertGirl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fabulous Las Vegas, NV
Just returned from the recommended vet clinic in town for torts. Our vet looked to be about 12. (Funny how everyone keeps getting younger as we get older.). Xrays showed some pebbles in the intestines. Vet administered some mineral oil and we were told to sprinkle food with 2 tsp of psyllium husk per day. One hour soaks twice daily. We are in a new state and left behind our exotic vet whom we adored. I’m worried and my confidence level has yet to be established at this new place. Any alarm bells with the treatment thus far?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I know how insecure one feels when having to give up the vet you've trusted for one you don't really know. I don't see anything wrong with what the vet has done and suggested. Why did you go to the vet in the first place? Were the pebbles causing the tortoise a problem? Normally, if the item is small enough to go down the throat tubes, it's small enough to be expelled out the other end. Leaving the tortoise soaking in water for a long time, having him scrambling to get out, helps get things moving. Hopefully the pebbles pass uneventfully.

DesertGirl

5 Year Member
Fabulous Las Vegas, NV
I know how insecure one feels when having to give up the vet you've trusted for one you don't really know. I don't see anything wrong with what the vet has done and suggested. Why did you go to the vet in the first place? Were the pebbles causing the tortoise a problem? Normally, if the item is small enough to go down the throat tubes, it's small enough to be expelled out the other end. Leaving the tortoise soaking in water for a long time, having him scrambling to get out, helps get things moving. Hopefully the pebbles pass uneventfully.
Thank you, Yvonne. Ms Shell is ALWAYS so regular with all her routines. She eats, basks a little, then poops every single day. That stopped on the 17th. Everything the vet said/did seemed conservative which I liked. Poor baby was all tucked in when she returned from that mineral oil treatment. (She is generally very curious, head out looking about. Probably a traumatic experience. Fingers crossed. Thanks everyone.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
How cute. . . I have a desert tortoise named Mi-Shell! Great minds think alike!!