Sick tort please help!

avasims

Location (City and/or State)
rogers minnesota
PLEASE HELP!!! My golden greek male tortoise has be nothing but healthy for the 9 years i’ve had him, but something happened a few months ago. First, he started to become very inactive and lost his appetite. Then, he started making this super high pitch noise and would proceed to throw up after. This continued for about a week and then he gained his appetite again. Sure enough the next week was a repeat so we took him to the vet. I had brought a stool sample with me to the vet because I had suspected the possibility of parasites, also there was blood in the stool. The test came back negative. The vet gave us some syringes full of medicine and liquid nutrients which he took very well. Since then, my tort has only thrown up once but continue to open his mouth and stick out his tongue like he’s gagging. I’ve changed his diet to a mix of super small cut up peas, carrots, and beans with added tortoise cuisine vitamins and calcium powder. he loves this mix. but still, he is very weak, doesn’t move like he used to. He used to be FAST! but now he has to take breaks after a few steps. I’ve come in here this morning because he is gagging again. Why is this so on and off?? Is this a digestive problem? How do i fix this? Please help I am hopeless, I just want my baby back.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
OK...I know nothing about gthat species...but the diet seems wrong somehow, and they seem to need it pretty warm...BUT if you haven'[t read this you need to and I'm sure it will help you better than I...lo

Greek Tortoise Care Guide​

go to forums, find greek torts and read this by Hermannichri, he's a member here...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm going to list a few things I see wrong. All of them might possibly be why your tortoise has stopped eating.

The enclosure is too small. Looks like your tortoise is now sexually mature and he needs a bigger space to explore. Any chance you can set him up in a safe and secure outdoor area?

Do you have a GOOD UVB light over him? Bright light makes them feel good and encourages them to eat.

Is he self soaking or did you put him in the waterer? He may need a bigger, longer soak.

Screen filters out the majority of the UVB rays from your light. There needs to be no screen between the light and the tortoise.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I agree with what has been said to try and help your nice greek tortoise. I feel that the best thing you can do for him now is to start a regimen of long, deeper, warm soaks every day. Make sure you read the care sheet and try to improve his diet, and that he gets enough exercise. That would be a good start towards his recovery. He is beautiful.

Shally

BIRMINGHAM
Hi I'm totally new to being a torti mama and have a Russian. When reading about diet it said NO PEAS only the pod .....not sure if this is the same for your species but noticed you said you fed peas? .....hope you figure out what's bothering him soon 🤞

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Hi I'm totally new to being a torti mama and have a Russian. When reading about diet it said NO PEAS only the pod .....not sure if this is the same for your species but noticed you said you fed peas? .....hope you figure out what's bothering him soon 🤞
hi and welcome...each species has a diet we try to follow...Redfoots for instance can eat fruit and boiled eggs, but my Sulcata cannot...Golden Greeks are a subspecies that needs to follow a rigorous diet...:)