Sick tort?

jessicaf

Location (City and/or State)
ADK NY
My Russian has been very lathargic the last couple of day. He is usually climbing the walls to get out and walk. He won't eat and hasn't pooped in awhile, that I have noticed. I soak him but he just kinda sits there. When I soaked him tonight, I noticed him blowing bubbles from his nose. Not sure if it is mucus or a little water he was in. I messaged my vet but they don't do tortoise care. I'm thing respiratory infection? Or is he just being lazy?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Keep a close eye on him to see if he blows bubbles away from the water, or if he gasps for air or rubs his face.
What are your temperatures ?
Make sure he stays nice and warm has plenty of sunlight or UVB and a mixed and varied diet.

jessicaf

ADK NY
I added a black light heat lamp for the nighttime. He was outside today in his enclosure and didn't walk around. He has a ton of planted goodies out there but was not interested. I was going to clean out his tank but not sure if that will stress him or not. Contacted my vet but they don't see tortoises. I'll have to watch him more closely tomorrow.

jessicaf

ADK NY
I added a black light heat lamp for the nighttime. He was outside today in his enclosure and didn't walk around. He has a ton of planted goodies out there but was not interested. I was going to clean out his tank but not sure if that will stress him or not. Contacted my vet but they don't see tortoises. I'll have to watch him more closely tomorrow.
PS. I'm in very northern NY

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi Jessica, there's no such thing as a "lazy tortoise". Sounds like you have a sick tort and the very first thing to do is: 1) bump up the temps to 85F all throughout his enclosure, 2) keep him hydrated by daily or twice daily soaks at least 20 min each. Be sure the water doesn't get too cold. I either keep changing water every few min (i bathe mine in human bathtub) or put heat lamp 10-12 inches above their shells. If it's respiratory infection your tort will likely need antibiotics. There is a list of reptile vets in HEALTH section here. Unfortunately I don't know how to attach links here when using my iphone. Can you post pics of your tort inside of his enclosure? People here may give you some really helpful tips. Respiratory infections are usually due to the way we keep our torts. Don't worry, we'll help you sort things out

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi Jessica, I agree

If your tort is to recover then you must know the temperatures in your enclosure accurately. (It can be too hot as well as too cold)

Use a good digital thermometer to measure them.

A temperature gun type thermometer (inexpensive from Amazon or a hardware store) is best for taking the spot measurements you need:
- directly under the basking lamp
- warm side
- cool side

A min/max thermometer will tell you the range of room temperature through the day
- the overnight minimum
- the daytime maximum

The signs sound like URI, so do what Pearly said. Please get your tort to an experienced herp vet. Those not experienced with torts can do more harm than good... No vitamin injections!

Daily soaks for at least 30 minutes in warm water are essential for hydration.

Photos of your tort, the enclosure and lights will help us to help you further.

jessicaf

ADK NY
I will buy a heat gun and call the vet when I get home. And post pics.

jessicaf

ADK NY
I can't get into the reptile vet until next Friday. I found electrolite rehydrating salts in my medicine cabinet. My use that later. I have pictures just not sure how to post them. The substrate I use is soil and the wood chip/bark stuff they had him in at petsmart. In the corner I have moss that I keep full of water. He has a water dish but I have never seen him near it unless I put him in there. Has no interest in store bought food so I don't even bother.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi @jessicaf , how is your tort today? Have you visited a reptile vet yet?

Hope to hear things are better. Please keep us updated.

jessicaf

ADK NY
Hi @jessicaf , how is your tort today? Have you visited a reptile vet yet?

Hope to hear things are better. Please keep us updated.
He seems to be only slightly better. I soaked him a lot today and forced fluids in him. (Difficult to do by myself). Bought a device that measures temp and moisture. Couldn't find a temp gun. Had him outside in the sun. He took a couple steps then fell asleep.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
He seems to be only slightly better. I soaked him a lot today and forced fluids in him. (Difficult to do by myself). Bought a device that measures temp and moisture. Couldn't find a temp gun. Had him outside in the sun. He took a couple steps then fell asleep.
V sorry to hear that.:( I wish I could help you.

jessicaf

ADK NY
Actually he is much better. I have been soaking him in the electrolytes and bought him a fan for his tank. We are outside now and be just started eating. He is falling asleep while he is chewing but at least he's trying☺️

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Soaking in salts in not typically recommended. If he hasn't been eating or you're otherwise worried about malnutrition, carrot baby food soaks are a better way to go. If he's getting the right food in him, then just soaking in warm water is what you want.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Actually he is much better. I have been soaking him in the electrolytes and bought him a fan for his tank. We are outside now and be just started eating. He is falling asleep while he is chewing but at least he's trying☺️
Great! That is good news and a step ahead.:)

Keep up the good work.;)

M

Maggie Cummings

Stop with the salts. Sounds like a URTI, if you can't get him to an exotic Vet, go to a feed store and get a package of terramycin. It's a yellow powder for cattle and chickens, but it will help IF what he has is URTI. You soak him in that powder and carrots and he'll perk up in no time.

jessicaf

ADK NY
Stop with the salts. Sounds like a URTI, if you can't get him to an exotic Vet, go to a feed store and get a package of terramycin. It's a yellow powder for cattle and chickens, but it will help IF what he has is URTI. You soak him in that powder and carrots and he'll perk up in no time.
He seems much better and has started to eat. Hasn't pooped yet tho. I only soaked him twice in the salts but after he started eating I used plan water. He hasn't actually drank anything other than whatever was on his mouth. He would doze off and wake up when his face hit the water! How do I make that solution with the cattle stuff?

M

Maggie Cummings

One of the moderators knows the mixture, let me ask her. I just put about 2 tablespoons in warm water and put the water a little higher than their bridge. Soak'em until he gets upset with it. If they are going to drink they usually do it as soon as they have access to water. I don't soak them very long, all they're really gonna do if they don't drink is poop, and I figure they can just poop somewhere else, not in the water:mad: hahahahaha:tort:
but that's just me, other people soak for 20 minutes or so. I raise my animals different

jessicaf

ADK NY
One of the problems is, is he isn't pooping. He just sits there, doesn't drink and doesn't poop. He wants to eat but just sniffs it and falls asleep.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
One of the problems is, is he isn't pooping. He just sits there, doesn't drink and doesn't poop. He wants to eat but just sniffs it and falls asleep.
Sorry about that. How long has this been going on for? How about a visit to a vet?

GoTotoiseSpeed

Southern California
I have a leopard tortoise hatchling that I bought at a reptile shop about 10 days ago, and like you, I noticed a bubble coming out on one side of his nose. The next day I took him to an exotic animal vet who diagnosed him with having an upper respiratory tract infection. He gave me the antibiotic Baytril with which I inject 10cc (via a shot) every day for 5 days and then every other day for another 5 days. Keeping my fingers crossed that he recovers. My advice is to not wait a minute longer getting him to a vet who specializes in exotic pets. Best of luck : )