sick tortoise

arizona2

Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Hi,
I have a 4yr old Desert tortoise named Dewy. Her eye's are very swollen and at times within seconds will swell so much as if they are going to explode! Please Please help us as we are so worried. Poor girl is uncomfortable! Thank you

TobyAndMarissa

Grafton, WI
My tortoise had the same thing, we took him to the vet and he got a cream to put in his eye. And, after about a week it went away. Hope this helps.

arizona2

Oregon
Yes, I am.
Oh, thank you so much!
We took her to our vet and they thought she possibly had a vit A difficiancy, so We are giving her drops and also giving Neomycin drops. I am so worried because Dewy is not getting better. The weird thing is...I can watch her eyes blow up like there is pressure behind her eyes and then they go back down a little.

arizona2

Oregon
Dewy keeps rubbing them and definately is uncomfortable.
May I ask you what you use for bedding? I am changing her habitat also. Thank you so much for your help...sure is appreciated!

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
What type of lighting are you using? I may be grasping at straws but just wondering.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi Tricia, I'm using a blue uv light

You say you have a desert tortoise? what type of desert tortoise do you have in Oregon...I only ask because there could be many things going here....blue uv light? What type of bulb exactly are you using? You may want to start a thread of your own so that the original poster is not hijacked .... :)

arizona2

Oregon
Oh I apologize. I am new on this site and would not want to cause someone to get hijacked. I did post my own thread however may have done it wrong as I didn't get any responses. I'm still learning:)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Oh I apologize. I am new on this site and would not want to cause someone to get hijacked. I did post my own thread however may have done it wrong as I didn't get any responses. I'm still learning:)

No apology needed to me....none at all....what is the name of your thread....I will go there....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No apology needed to me....none at all....what is the name of your thread....I will go there....
Sorry, Ascott: I was trying to separate the hijacked part from the hijacker part and took your post to the wrong place. Hopefully your question is now where it belongs. The other thread was under Egyptian tortoises.

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, are you responding to our tortoise, Dewy?
See? this is what happens when someone asks their own questions on someone else's thread. The original thread was Alex Prilucs. The hijacker was Arizona 2. I think I have it all straightened out now.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Sorry, Ascott: I was trying to separate the hijacked part from the hijacker part and took your post to the wrong place. Your question is now where it belongs, under Egyptian tortoises.

I am so confused....I see that this is under gopherus/North Amer....that is where I thought I was...Yvonne, am I here or Egyptian??? LOL...Yvonne, find me, help me...."Marco"!!! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I did a Google search for "blue UV light" and this type of light is what comes up:

ultraviolet-lights-250x250.jpg

@arizona2 is this the type of light you're talking about? If so, turn it off immediately! This is the incorrect type of UV light and could cause eye damage.

You should use either one of these two types:

mercury vapor bulb.jpg T-5 fluorescent bulb.jpg