Signs of bullying in young tortoises

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
What about a group of hatchlings of two species? Hermanns and Sulcatas. Both are one month old.
Species should never be mixed. These two species have different housing and feeding requirements. If both are kept in the same enclosure, one of them will be in the wrong environment. There is also the disease potential, and the behavioral problems.

Tortoise Nana

Las Vegas, Nv
Ok, I’ve been fighting this topic of bullying for the last three years. Tom told me that Roll was being bullied by her brother Rock. He could tell by the difference in their sizes. I went to look for Rock & Roll because they didn’t come out to eat, when I called them. After searching, I found that Rock had dug a hole under the root of a small bush. He’s so big that he wedged himself so deep and tightthat he couldn’t get himself out. After trying to dig him out and cutting a 3 inch thick root in 110 degree Las Vegas heat, I was able to get him out. Much to my chagrin, little Roll was squished further down in the hole. Rock had her wedged in and he had been on top of her, smothering her and himself. I’ve finally talked my son into letting me adopt her out. I now see all of the things Tortoise Forum folks & Tom have been saying. He is a huge bully. He’s almost 3X her size. I finally found someone, a friend, with a half acre property, who is going to take Roll today and give her a wonderful new life - all by herself. Thanks so much Forum friends for you advice.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Ok, I’ve been fighting this topic of bullying for the last three years. Tom told me that Roll was being bullied by her brother Rock. He could tell by the difference in their sizes. I went to look for Rock & Roll because they didn’t come out to eat, when I called them. After searching, I found that Rock had dug a hole under the root of a small bush. He’s so big that he wedged himself so deep and tightthat he couldn’t get himself out. After trying to dig him out and cutting a 3 inch thick root in 110 degree Las Vegas heat, I was able to get him out. Much to my chagrin, little Roll was squished further down in the hole. Rock had her wedged in and he had been on top of her, smothering her and himself. I’ve finally talked my son into letting me adopt her out. I now see all of the things Tortoise Forum folks & Tom have been saying. He is a huge bully. He’s almost 3X her size. I finally found someone, a friend, with a half acre property, who is going to take Roll today and give her a wonderful new life - all by herself. Thanks so much Forum friends for you advice.
So glad to hear Roll is gonna get the life she deserves!

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Glad to hear you were able to make the right choice!