Silver maple near tortoise enclosure

Michael Bird

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Salt Lake City, Utah
I've seen some previous discussions in a search here, but I don't see anything about this specific type of tree so I want to make sure...

The area where I'm tentatively planning to build an outdoor enclosure for my Hermann's Tortoise will have a fairly large tree that I believe is a Silver Maple (Acer Saccharinium) nearby. I'm not 100% sure of the tree type since we just moved into this house recently and I'm just going by the shapes of the scattered bits of 'leftover' leaves still on the ground as well as the flower buds that have started blooming on the tree. I don't have a good picture of the leaves since I could only find partial leaves, but I'll include a picture of a part of a branch with blossoms on it.

Previous discussions said that some maple leaves are fine for tortoises, and some are not. But this variety is not even listed on The Tortoise Table so I'm hoping someone here will know.

I'm planning to put chicken wire lids over the enclosure to keep predators out since he's so small, which should also help keep most of the leaves out, but I'm sure some will manage to get through and I don't want him to accidentally eat something harmful.
PXL_20230402_181942646.jpg