Simple Seed Starter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Here is a pic of a easy and inexpensive setup for starting seeds for the young tortoises. I put a piece or cloth in the top half to use as a wick and to keep the soil from coming out the bottom after the top is turned over and placed into the bottom half.Growing in this one is bird seed and is ready to feed to the tortoises.Sometimes I cover them with half of another bottle to hold the moisture in, depends on the seeds being used. One good thing is the soil stays moist without daily watering. Len

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
What a great idea, Len. I've been using the little clear plastic bins that the spring mix comes in. I make some holes in the bottom. Put in some soil, and the top closes to make a little mini green house. When the plants get bigger, I cut the top off, and use it as a tray to catch the water. They have bigger ones at Costco, and the top is not attached. I love recycling stuff.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
That's a great idea Len. I'll have to remember to try it and to share the idea with others.

Terry I like using those containers too! Anything that can be reused, is big at my place.

TLL

5 Year Member
Southern Calif.
great idea ! i'm trying to grow some stuff in old spring mix containers with holes drilled in the bottom. its seems to be working, but there are a few kinks i'm trying to work out :) yay for recycling !

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
murdocjunior said:
What is bird seed? Is ok for sulcatas?

The seeds in this mix are white proso millet, sunflower, safflower, wheat, and milo.It is wild bird seed by Pennington. I have been feeding the seedlings to young sulcatas and a young leopard this winter after frost killed most outside weeds. Len

Kuro

5 Year Member
i do the whole old spring mix box route works well

i use the seed mix from sulcatafood.com and my three really like what grows from it

murdocjunior

10 Year Member!
South, Texas
Len said:
murdocjunior said:
What is bird seed? Is ok for sulcatas?

The seeds in this mix are white proso millet, sunflower, safflower, wheat, and milo.It is wild bird seed by Pennington. I have been feeding the seedlings to young sulcatas and a young leopard this winter after frost killed most outside weeds. Len

So where caN i find this bird seeds?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
murdocjunior said:
So where caN i find this bird seeds?

Most every pet store sells Wild Bird Seed. It comes in a large bag and people buy it to feed the wild birds.

Brooke

5 Year Member
Len said:
Here is a pic of a easy and inexpensive setup for starting seeds for the young tortoises. I put a piece or cloth in the top half to use as a wick and to keep the soil from coming out the bottom after the top is turned over and placed into the bottom half.Growing in this one is bird seed and is ready to feed to the tortoises.Sometimes I cover them with half of another bottle to hold the moisture in, depends on the seeds being used. One good thing is the soil stays moist without daily watering. Len

I cannot see the picture on my computer (no link). Would you mind posting it again?

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
How much protein would be in this kind of a mix?
Anbody know?
Just wondering if it would have to be limited somewhat?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, Brooke. The picture isn't showing up any more for me either. I'll try to find it on the other thread and add it again to this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.