Sissy my YF

Status
Not open for further replies.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgetown, TX
on the 8th I noticed an egg in Sissy's enclosure. As I have only had her for 1 1/2 and she is around 20 yrs...that is what the person whom I got her said, this is the first time she has layed and egg. Well further checking noticed 7 more carefully deposited into the ground by her House in the enclosure. I am curious to find out if these eggs could be fertile or be like my friend Kelly says, she just went through an egg cycle, because she was in close proximity of a male.

The only thing I have close to be a mate for her is my 10 yr old Columbian, but they have been kept seperate. But are housed side by side. Cinder blocks stacked 4 tall seperate them, so I know there was no hanky panky going on. The previous owner was housing her at a friends, who she was with male RFs. It just seems like 1 1/2 years is a long time to store sperm and then go through gestation.

So, is it possible for these eggs to be fertile? What is the normal hatching time for YFs? Thanks in advance for answers

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A tortoise can store sperm for 4 or 5 years or more, so if in the past few years the tortoise was with a male, even a RF, then the eggs just might be fertile.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I never got into the Hobby to be a breeder. So, you will see me posting more questions as the weeks go on. Any idea how long it takes a YF to hatch?

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
I know of a YF that managed to lay fertile clutches at 7 years post-contact.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Wow, that is a long time. Ok, I will treat them as fertile and hope for a pleasant surprise in a few months. I will keep everyone posted.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
DixieParadise said:
I never got into the Hobby to be a breeder. So, you will see me posting more questions as the weeks go on. Any idea how long it takes a YF to hatch?

Redfoots take 4 to 6 months to hatch, Ive never hatched yellowfoots

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
7 YEARS! Holy smokes!!!

Ann from CT

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Hey EJ! Pics of the star crossed love birds would be great, just an excuse to see more torts. One of my Colombian girls lays eggs even though she hasn't been exposed to any boys. My two girls are about 6-8 (guess based on the size they were when we got them). We have had the Colombians or about 4 years now. They may be like chickens, don't need the rooster to lay eggs, but the eggs won't be fertile. If she was exposed to a male, I concur with Boah and Yvonne, sperm retention.

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
Yvonne G said:
A tortoise can store sperm for 4 or 5 years or more, so if in the past few years the tortoise was with a male, even a RF, then the eggs just might be fertile.

HOLY MOLY.... I NEVER knew they could do this. I learn something new everyday. WOW that blows my mind lol. Crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.