Size and age question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

L82lalaland

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lakeside, California
So today I went to a reptile store locally that was advertising on the tortoise for sale site. Looking for cypress mulch, wow that is hard to find out here and expensive. I assumed that they would know quite a bit about Sullies because they were on the forum.

Here is my confusion.
I purchased a new baby Sulcata,
I asked about what age the manager thought he was and she told me 3 to 4 months. I know for a fact that my Sullies, Taz and Penny, were born on Nov 2, 2012 so they are almost 3 months old. I've included a picture of all three together. My question
Either A. I am the best tortoise mom in the world and my first two are going to be monsters.
B. The manager was misinformed.
Or C. My new little guy is very malnourished. He is very alert and ate a great dinner after a very long soak.
Any ideas?
Also while there she said that she had two 4 to 5 year old Sullies when I went to look at them I found a pyramided set of Sulcatas that were only maybe 6 to 7 inches long. Is it even possible that they were that age? I tried to say that there was no way they were 5 years old but she was adamant about it same way with the baby.
So I guess my questions are does size vary THAT much in the species? Should I be worried about my new little guy. I could not leave him there and it bothered me to leave the other two but I did not have the 400 to save them all.

A second picture of them

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    830 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 61

Hauntmom

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Sadly I do think that they don't grow as fast or as well if they aren't being taken care of. When I first got Kresh we didn't know what was best for him and I think we stunted his growth a little but after finding this forum he has grown quite a bit.

L82lalaland

5 Year Member
Lakeside, California
Man I was hoping for the best tortoise mom ever reply. Well I guess he will have to be spoiled like the other two. Glad Kresh is doing good and you found the site. I can't thank the people of this site enough. I am amazed at the community here, the information, and the help everyone offers.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
They all grow at different rates. My 23 month old is 15 or so inches long and about 24 pounds. For 1 I hate pet stores, they take **** poor care of animals, and tortoises they seem to do the absolute worst with! I must ask, are you quarantining your new baby? I would because he/she should be vet checked for worms/parasites so that if he does have them he can be treated and not pass them on to your bigger kids. I am sure your doing a good job cause your torts look real good. And, since I am a jerk, I would be asking that pet store why the older ones have such pyramiding and maybe explain to them how to care for them better. I have done it before, either they will thank you and hopefully make changes, or they wont. But it burns me up to see them not caring for them. At least your new little one looks good. Best of luck to you!

L82lalaland

5 Year Member
Lakeside, California
cemmons12 said:
They all grow at different rates. My 23 month old is 15 or so inches long and about 24 pounds. For 1 I hate pet stores, they take **** poor care of animals, and tortoises they seem to do the absolute worst with! I must ask, are you quarantining your new baby? I would because he/she should be vet checked for worms/parasites so that if he does have them he can be treated and not pass them on to your bigger kids. I am sure your doing a good job cause your torts look real good. And, since I am a jerk, I would be asking that pet store why the older ones have such pyramiding and maybe explain to them how to care for them better. I have done it before, either they will thank you and hopefully make changes, or they wont. But it burns me up to see them not caring for them. At least your new little one looks good. Best of luck to you!

Yep first thing I did was make a new cage for the little guy. Okay it was the second first was a nice warm soak. They were only next to each other for two seconds for the pic and had them pointing different directions. No way I am endangering Taz and Penny. Doing a lot of hand washing also.
I agree about pet stores I just could not leave him there to end up like the others.
Thanks i am glad my torts look good it's all because of this site and all the great people and information I keep reading.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Judging by the numerous posts I've seen here, an older tortoise can be the size of a hatching if not properly cared for. It seems their growth can be stunted.

I'm sure it will be fine and grow well with proper care.

KingInCulver

5 Year Member
Southern California
i'd say D. All of the above. You are probably an awesome tortoise mom, judging from the nice looking shells on taz and penny. And I would not be surprised that a pet store manager would be misinformed as to the age (as opposed to a breeder, who might be more inclined to keep track of something like that). Your new little one may be malnourished, but i'm sure he will catch up to the other two while under your attentive and loving care. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.