Skin Staining?

Brit G

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
My ivory used to be kept on eco earth, but is now on reptibark. I don't remember this much staining when on the eco earth. Anyone else experienced this with reptibark? Or, does it look more like a health condition I need to amend?

Last 3 pictures show what he was like near when I first received him.

He eats muzuri diet, cat grass, grass sprouts from tortoise company, some Timothy hay, blossom tortoise topper (recent), some pumpkin, hibiscus leaves, etc. Heat is 95 on warm side via CHE, 80 on cold side. Humidity 65% between sprays (recognize it is too low, bought a tiny desk humidifier and will move to a closed chamber once exams over this weekend). Goes outside for sunshine at least 2x weekly for an hour. Soaks morning and night in warm water for 15 minutes.
Will put basking incandescent bulb on hot side this weekend, too. For how, it is just a CHE on a thermostat 24/7. Light cycle from the bedroom light being on all day, and off at night.

Attachments

• 20180926_191052.jpeg
    20180926_191052.jpeg
    136.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 20180926_191049.jpeg
    20180926_191049.jpeg
    128 KB · Views: 60
  • 20180824_194910-1.jpeg
    20180824_194910-1.jpeg
    96.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 20180822_064430.jpeg
    20180822_064430.jpeg
    81.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 20180824_194224.jpeg
    20180824_194224.jpeg
    50.4 KB · Views: 54

drew54

Indiana
My ivory used to be kept on eco earth, but is now on reptibark. I don't remember this much staining when on the eco earth. Anyone else experienced this with reptibark? Or, does it look more like a health condition I need to amend?

Last 3 pictures show what he was like near when I first received him.

He eats muzuri diet, cat grass, grass sprouts from tortoise company, some Timothy hay, blossom tortoise topper (recent), some pumpkin, hibiscus leaves, etc. Heat is 95 on warm side via CHE, 80 on cold side. Humidity 65% between sprays (recognize it is too low, bought a tiny desk humidifier and will move to a closed chamber once exams over this weekend). Goes outside for sunshine at least 2x weekly for an hour. Soaks morning and night in warm water for 15 minutes.
Will put basking incandescent bulb on hot side this weekend, too. For how, it is just a CHE on a thermostat 24/7. Light cycle from the bedroom light being on all day, and off at night.

I think you need to send him my way! [emoji12] he is a good looking little dude. What does the staining look like? I used coco coir for bottom substrate that I keep damp and swampy so the water will wick up to the orchid bark to keep it moist. I have noticed with my hatchling she can get rather dirty and her skin sometimes darkens. When I give her a soak I will use a tooth brush and gently clean all the dirt and food stains of her plastron, carapce, and front legs. She hates her front legs being messed with, so I rarely do it. Afterwards, she looks a little lighter after the dirt and food stains are cleaned. Not sure if that is what your referring to or not.

Brit G

Texas
I think you need to send him my way! [emoji12] he is a good looking little dude. What does the staining look like? I used coco coir for bottom substrate that I keep damp and swampy so the water will wick up to the orchid bark to keep it moist. I have noticed with my hatchling she can get rather dirty and her skin sometimes darkens. When I give her a soak I will use a tooth brush and gently clean all the dirt and food stains of her plastron, carapce, and front legs. She hates her front legs being messed with, so I rarely do it. Afterwards, she looks a little lighter after the dirt and food stains are cleaned. Not sure if that is what your referring to or not.

Lol! Will try the gentle toothbrushing tomorrow during soak - just put him away for the night. I think you are right though - most likely just food and dirt stains :)1541033686841.jpeg

drew54

Indiana
Lol! Will try the gentle toothbrushing tomorrow during soak - just put him away for the night. I think you are right though - most likely just food and dirt stains :)View attachment 255804
That's what it looks like to me. Below you can see where the dirt builds up on the front legs and sometimes the carapce. I don't have a pic of her plastron, but it gets stained and dirty all the time. I usually clean her maybe once or twice a week. Try the brushing and let me know. And please post more picks of your little beauty!

IMG_0862.jpg

tiffy123

metro manila
Saw this when I was doing my search and was it ever resolved? My sulcata also has dark stains because of reptibark...