Sleeping Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
West Bloomfield MI
My Russian sleeps often outside of her hide with her legs and head stretched out. Does she sleep like that because she is captive bred and never had to fear predators or do the wild caught ones do that too? It always makes me want to pet her wrinkly legs.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
I had a wild-caught box turtle who had been in captivity for about 10 years by the time I got him, and he used to do the same thing when he slept. It was sooo cute. I think it happens partly because thy feel like they're in a safe place, but also because their muscles become really relaxed when they're fast asleep, just like people. I see it as the equivalent of a slack-jawed, drooling human who's just completely passed out. :)

CDNPyxis

5 Year Member
Virginia
Does she do it close to the heat? They also stretch out for sun exposure, when close to the heat and basking they will stretch all out to maximize their exposure to the heat.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
CDNPyxis said:
Does she do it close to the heat? They also stretch out for sun exposure, when close to the heat and basking they will stretch all out to maximize their exposure to the heat.

She has a heat pad but she isn't on it. I will go take a picture. :D

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
Brains is WC and he does the same thing. It's so hard to resist touching them when they're all sprawled out like that :)

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
2012-10-06_23-13-40_169.jpg

I didn't wanna get to close to her and wake her. Her head was off to the left :)

Bobo's Dad

10 Year Member!
Louisville, Ohio
They call it the Death Pose. Totally normal from the sources that know they say it is a sign that they are HAPPY seriously! I have read it on multiple sites. Yeeee haw

Status
Not open for further replies.