Sleeping Russian

belindajon

Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, CA
I have a Russian tortoise, currently sleeping in the fridge. I take her out regularly and weigh her and she seems to be doing fine. The one thing that I find curious is her sleeping position. She's sleeping fully frogged, meaning all four legs and her head are sticking out of her shell and are quite rigid. I would have thought she would withdraw into her shell for brumation. Is this normal/common?

Thanks!

Belinda

TinyTeri

Cle Elum
I have a Russian tortoise, currently sleeping in the fridge. I take her out regularly and weigh her and she seems to be doing fine. The one thing that I find curious is her sleeping position. She's sleeping fully frogged, meaning all four legs and her head are sticking out of her shell and are quite rigid. I would have thought she would withdraw into her shell for brumation. Is this normal/common?

Thanks!

Belinda
My Russia does the same thing under her light. I just figured she was basking. Still do.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That doesn't sound right. It sounds like the tortoise is dead. Brumation doesn't make them rigid, they are just unable to move due to being too cold. So the limbs should be pliant. The eyes will even open and look at you.

CourtsTorts

Northern California
I currently have 2 Russians inside a fridge. 1 sleeps fully inside her shell and 1 sleeps with all her limbs out like you describe. Because she is cold, her limbs are rigid, but will slowly move when touched. Does yours move?

Shelby.jpg

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Mine hibernate with their legs splayed out too. As they warm up when I'm weighing them, they become more flaccid/movable and the eyes begin to open, very slowly. The coldness makes them rigid, but they still move. Just very slowly.

belindajon

Orange County, CA
I currently have 2 Russians inside a fridge. 1 sleeps fully inside her shell and 1 sleeps with all her limbs out like you describe. Because she is cold, her limbs are rigid, but will slowly move when touched. Does yours move?

View attachment 285464

View attachment 285464
Yes she will open her eyes and move slowly when I touch her. She’s definitely not dead. Thanks!

belindajon

Orange County, CA
That doesn't sound right. It sounds like the tortoise is dead. Brumation doesn't make them rigid, they are just unable to move due to being too cold. So the limbs should be pliant. The eyes will even open and look at you.
She will open her eyes and look at me and she will move slowly when I pick her up. She’s definitely not dead.