Sleeping under basking light

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scm133

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Calera, Alabama
I just finished reading Tom's updated care sheet, and realized that my basking spot temp was too low. I have raise the temp from 88 to 100. I noticed that my one month old sulcata is sleeping under it. This is a first. His little back legs are stretched out. Is it ok? He has been there for about an hour. I hate to disturb him, if it is ok. Oh, and ambient temp is 82.5/Humidity 88%. Sorry if this is a dumb question...still a newbie, and trying to be sure I am doing everything right.:rolleyes:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Are you sure the temp under the light is up where it should be 95+? Also, are you sure the rest of the enclosures temps are correct? If your using one of those disc type gauges that pet stores sell, your temps may still be off. If you can get a temp gun or a thermostat with a probe attached, they work a lot better. An hour under a basking bulb that is the correct temps seems too long. If the temps are not hot enough, then that would be the reason for such a long basking. I would make sure to give it a nice warm soak either when he moves away from the spot or even now.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He might just be happy to finally be able to get warm. It would be a good idea to soak him after such a long "sunning" session.

Scm133

5 Year Member
Calera, Alabama
wellington said:
Are you sure the temp under the light is up where it should be 95+? Also, are you sure the rest of the enclosures temps are correct? If your using one of those disc type gauges that pet stores sell, your temps may still be off. If you can get a temp gun or a thermostat with a probe attached, they work a lot better. An hour under a basking bulb that is the correct temps seems too long. If the temps are not hot enough, then that would be the reason for such a long basking. I would make sure to give it a nice warm soak either when he moves away from the spot or even now.
Yes, I have a Pro Exotics Temp gun for spot checking, and a digital probe registering the surface temp on the cool side, and one monitoring the ambient temps. He did wake up, and run through his water dish..straight to his food bowl. Later he is back on his spot basking.

Scm133

5 Year Member
Calera, Alabama
Tom said:
He might just be happy to finally be able to get warm. It would be a good idea to soak him after such a long "sunning" session.
Thanks!! Will do

Scm133

5 Year Member
Calera, Alabama
This is where he stayed off and on for most of the afternoon. I did give him a good soak that evening. He fell asleep on that spot, and I just covered him with a tiny fleece blanket. This morning, he ate like a horse, and had some really good poops. I am amazed how much these little ones can eat!! i had him outside for a short stroll, and he was sampling everything. I noticed he was really attacking the rocks. I have a cuttlebone coming today, so he can chomp on that. Having so much fun with this little guy. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your baby looks great and sounds like he's acting like a pretty normal sulcata.

The rock eating isn't necessarily due to a need for more calcium. Sometimes it can be from a mineral or trace element imbalance. By all means, offer the cuttle bone, but I would also order up a product called MinerAll and use that once or twice a week too. Its made by a company called Sticky Tongue Farms, and I've had good success with that getting torts to stop eating rocks.

Scm133

5 Year Member
Calera, Alabama
Tom said:
Your baby looks great and sounds like he's acting like a pretty normal sulcata.

The rock eating isn't necessarily due to a need for more calcium. Sometimes it can be from a mineral or trace element imbalance. By all means, offer the cuttle bone, but I would also order up a product called MinerAll and use that once or twice a week too. Its made by a company called Sticky Tongue Farms, and I've had good success with that getting torts to stop eating rocks.
I just ordered the MinerAll. THANKS!! Since my last post, I did get the cuttle bone. He has been chipping at it:D. He also has started eating grass clippings along with the Spring Mix. Very happy to see that!!

yensao

5 Year Member
North California, USA
Your sulcata baby is acting same as mine. I think he really enjoy the basking spot now. My sulcata baby likes to walk and takes a nap around the basking spot during the day. He goes sleep in his hide around 8pm and walks out at 8am on time when I turned on the light again. Really routine! Same as yours?ImageUploadedByTortForum1380669833.330597.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1380670004.222531.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1380670152.584291.jpg

We Love Tortoises; Tortoises Love us :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Scm133

5 Year Member
Calera, Alabama
yensao said:
Your sulcata baby is acting same as mine. I think he really enjoy the basking spot now. My sulcata baby likes to walk and takes a nap around the basking spot during the day. He goes sleep in his hide around 8pm and walks out at 8am on time when I turned on the light again. Really routine! Same as yours?

We Love Tortoises; Tortoises Love us :)
Yes, I am seeing a routine. But when lights come on, I still have to move him out to his basking spot. Little sleepy head!!

Status
Not open for further replies.