Sleepy head!

Roddytort121

Location (City and/or State)
Derbyshire UK
Best of luck. Keep us posted.
This morning I gave him an hour after the light was switched on to get up and up. I opened the lid and he was awake. I placed him under the lamp. And he went straight back to bed. It's definitely warm enough now. I don't know what I'm doing wrong :(

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
This morning I gave him an hour after the light was switched on to get up and up. I opened the lid and he was awake. I placed him under the lamp. And he went straight back to bed. It's definitely warm enough now. I don't know what I'm doing wrong :(

The basking temperature is warm enough, but what about the night temperature?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

In addition to Sarah's question, these things take time. The end of yesterday was warm, and today started out warmer, but its been "cold" there for the last month for him. He's also still not used to his new area at your place. It can take months for them to settle into a new territory. Give him some time. You are not necessarily doing anything "wrong".

Roddytort121

Derbyshire UK
Thank you, I guess it's hard to sit back and let him settle in when you still unsure if everything is just right. But I think you're right, I've upped the temps so i shall just settle him in to a routine whereby he feels comfortable. Thanks :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Oh and I checked night temps early this morning before lights went on and it wasn't as low as I thought. Mid teens
Be a bit patient. It is tempting to stand and watch, but for the time being you're not the nice thing that brings food... you're big and scary.

I suggest establishing a routine so he learns what to expect and when.

Start the day with lights on
While things warm up, give your tort a good soak.
While he's soaking, put food in the enclosure
Pop him back in next to the food and walk away - don't stand and watch.

Your tort will start to realise that you're OK and become more confident in your presence.

I don't know how noisy your home is. Is he being disturbed by small children or lots of noise? If so, do what you can to reduce that too.

Roddytort121

Derbyshire UK
It's just me and the other half really. So reasonably quiet. He's living in our bedroom for now but may pop him in the spare room once we've made space lol! I've popped him in the bath for 10 mins and put some weeds in his house so fingers crossed. I put him back in in a mo and walk away!!!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
HI I'm in Wales and use a Ceramic heat emitter (CHE) at night, this just gives heat as torts need darkness to sleep. It is run through a thermostat so it switches on and off as temps rise and fall to keep temps even. I bought both of them from The Range for about £55 I use ceramic holders with wide domes for my MVB and CHE to make sure heat is directed downwards. I also use it in the day with the mvb if temps are very low.
If he is in your room then any lights you have on could be disturbing him and maybe stressing him a little.

I think my tort need higher temps than yours, but I don't put him out unless ground temps are a least 70'F and he is sheltered from any chilly winds. Can't wait for some warmer weather to let Lola out!!

Roddytort121

Derbyshire UK
A great idea! I do want it just right! I'm hoping if once I can get the hang of all the different temps I can get him a bigger home in the shed which has electricity so that should be nice for him Him! I've been sat in bed all afternoon reading and although he hasn't come out, I do hear him stirring now and again :-/

Roddytort121

Derbyshire UK
So Ive finally realised that it is in fact me fussing over him constantly when he is actually out that is the cause of him going to his room just for some peace I guess! I got him out under his lamp this morning and he began to eat a few treats I'd put down, then I bathed him and placed him back and then walked away like I was told. I went into the garden and spotted some lovely weeds I thought he'd like and like a flash I was back in front of him fussing and standing over him. And so he made his way to his room... Lol I'm useless. I'm going to just leave him be now. SO HARD.