A couple more questions

Rusky

Location (City and/or State)
Allentown, Pennsylvania
This is an update from my last post: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/tortoise-might-be-sick-or-trying-to-hibernate.162804/

Rusky is now eating just fine, and has been for a couple of weeks. However, he has gone back to his lazy behavior which is honestly how he's been since I first got him. I wake him up, he eats, he basks, he goes back to his hide, burrows, and then sleeps for the rest of the day unless I wake him up again or bathe him. However, he seems much more active when I take him out of his enclosure and let him roam around my room while I watch him. And it doesn't seem like he's in a hurry to find a way to escape and find a place to hide, because he often ignores the dark corners of my room and just ambles around.

Pretty much all the videos and descriptions of russians that I have seen say they are always active and looking for food, so I'm a little confused as to why he acts like this.

Other question: how long is long when it comes to RT toenails and beak?

Rusky

Allentown, Pennsylvania
@Tom @Yvonne G
because it's been a few days. Also, is there an etiquette to tagging people on this forum? I just don't want to come across as too crudely spamming for attention, especially because you guys seem to be some of the most active ones here.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Is it winter where you are?

Russians in the wild spend around 60% of their time underground and they seem to know that it's the hibernation time of year even when temperatures are perfect.

All you can do is make sure that temperatures are as near perfect as possible and that lighting is as bright as possible and on for 14 hours a day. You may need an additional lamp to provide extra light. A standard fluorescent tube or LED bulb would be good as they give off light but little heat so won't affect your carefully set up temperature profile.

When spring comes and days are longer then your tort will become more active again.

Rusky

Allentown, Pennsylvania
Is it winter where you are?

Russians in the wild spend around 60% of their time underground and they seem to know that it's the hibernation time of year even when temperatures are perfect.

All you can do is make sure that temperatures are as near perfect as possible and that lighting is as bright as possible and on for 14 hours a day. You may need an additional lamp to provide extra light. A standard fluorescent tube or LED bulb would be good as they give off light but little heat so won't affect your carefully set up temperature profile.

When spring comes and days are longer then your tort will become more active again.
It is winter. I'm guessing you're probably right, it's just that I haven't had him for long so I don't have anything to compare his behavior to. Can't wait till he wakes up properly!