Slowing Down for Winter

Status
Not open for further replies.

KQ6AR

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Concord, CA
My outdoor Marginatas are finally starting to slow down. Nights have been 35-40F with daytime temps still warm 70's

Our Russians have been inactive about a month now.

techiegrl

10 Year Member!
Hey Dan, You still have your Margie's outside? I always start to worry when the temps drop below 60 at night even though mine can go into their houses.

KQ6AR

10 Year Member!
Concord, CA
Hi,
Sorry for the slow reply, I never bring my adult tortoises in the house. Only the hatchlings are indoors. 18 babies this year.

techiegrl said:
Hey Dan, You still have your Margie's outside? I always start to worry when the temps drop below 60 at night even though mine can go into their houses.

freefood

5 Year Member
You don't need to hibernate them, correct? I'm too scared of leaving my tortoise like that for so long. Can I just simulate normal conditions throughout the year without anything bad happening to her?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Oh, I would be interested in your husbandry as well. Also for the Russians, although I know this thread is under Marginata torts!
What are their enclosures like? Do they have a heated shed? Do you let them hibernate outside?

KQ6AR

10 Year Member!
Concord, CA
Hi Guys,
First thing to take into consideration is my climate. I'm in USDA zone 9. Our soil doesn't freeze more than an inch or so, in our coldest weather.
My Russians, & Marginatas are housed under the same conditions in separate yards. They have dry houses outdoors with dirt floors so they can dig deeper if the weather gets colder.
I pack the houses with Timothy hay for insulation. We don't use any type of heater, other than passive heat from the daytime sun. The Russians dig deep, 6"-8" where we live, & I don't worry about them. A friend in Oregon lost a hatchling a couple of falls ago, It turned up in the summer healthy as can be.
The Marginatas don't seem to dig as deep as the Russians do. If I lived in a colder climate that would concern me. I would probably put a heat mat on top of the insulation with a thermostat to keep it above freezing.

Forgot to answer the other question. You don't have to hibernate if you don't want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.