Slugs and pennies?

tortoishell

Location (City and/or State)
Washington, USA
I recently found a slug on my rt out in the greenhouse. I've heard about the beer method, but I don't want a backyard full of dead, alcohol smelling slugs. I also want a more ethical way to get rid of slugs (forgive me :p). Some people say that burying pennies near the surface of the dirt shocks the slugs, kind of like an electric shock.
First, does anyone know if this works? And second, how would I use it? I mean, you can't really glue pennies onto a tortoise, so do you think just scattering pennies across the dirt would do the trick? And do pennies hurt torts?
Another option is just to keep my tort inside for the rainy season, because that's when the slugs start raging war, but there are some sunny days that I want to take advantage of.
Sorry for all the questions!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Are you concerned that the slug will harm your tort? It won't.

They're a nuisance eating plants, but I find them on Joe pretty regularly. There's nothing like feeling an unexpected slug on his underside when I pick him up for a soak (yuk! :D)

Seriously, if you're a gardener this may be a problem to you. A slug on a tort kept outside, or on its food, isn't.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I don't have any slugs they get eaten by my box turtles and my red foot. slugs are not going to harm your tortoise

tortoishell

Washington, USA
Okay good to know :). But it's been below freezing these past days, so my tortoise has been cooped up inside (he's been giving me the stink eye, but at least there are no slugs :D). I think by the time it warms up the slugs will be gone... Then again that might not happen for a long time here in the US.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I'd be more worried about my tortoises eating pennies than slugs. My Reds LOVE slugs and snails.

I wouldn't use any sort of poison of course because your tortoise may eat a poisoned slug. Granted if you do the beer trick you may have a drunk tortoise. :p