Smallest Box Turtle Hatchling Here

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Found this little guy along with a sibling today while moving some wood.tiny box turtle.jpgI weighed him while wet and he is 2.8 grams From the size of the nest he came from I believe there are some more siblings still out there. He is very active and looks normal except his small size.

EricL

5 Year Member
Maryland
Found this little guy along with a sibling today while moving some wood.View attachment 220083I weighed him while wet and he is 2.8 grams From the size of the nest he came from I believe there are some more siblings still out there. He is very active and looks normal except his small size.

And I thought the my 5.2g baby was small. Nice find!

Len B

10 Year Member!
They hatched out in the back yard where the adults wander. I will keep them inside over this winter and put them in the youngsters enclosure when it gets warm enough next spring, Its been warm here but very dry so I was surprised to see them I figured what was in the ground would spend the winter there and emerge with the spring rains.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
What a great find, congratulations! That's a tiny hatchling but it'll probably turn out to be one of the spunkiest of the group.

EricL

5 Year Member
Maryland
They hatched out in the back yard where the adults wander. I will keep them inside over this winter and put them in the youngsters enclosure when it gets warm enough next spring, Its been warm here but very dry so I was surprised to see them I figured what was in the ground would spend the winter there and emerge with the spring rains.
That is very surprising since if they were at your home in MD, since this week was the first rain in at least 3-4 weeks.

Len B

10 Year Member!
What a great find, congratulations! That's a tiny hatchling but it'll probably turn out to be one of the spunkiest of the group.
He is very active and adventuress, has a good appetite also.Picture 2255.jpgPicture 2258.jpg
That is very surprising since if they were at your home in MD, since this week was the first rain in at least 3-4 weeks.
These are in Virginia, but I can see Maryland from the front yard. Finally got some rain but not very much.