SMELL

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonesy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
as ive told u all i have recently saved 2 yellow b turtles from a garden, i have transferd them into a tank now but the water seems to get cloudy and starts smelling realy bad after just a cuple of days could u help or give me sum tips coz its a night mare changing water every 2 days help

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I assume these are water turtles? Maybe post under turtles and see what you get in replies.. but I would guess,, more frequesnt water changes, feeding them out of the water, and maybe getting a filter to help or a bigger tank.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
How big is your tank? When I had 2 baby water turtles, I had them in a 30 gal tank with underground filters labeled for a 60 gal tank. I didn't have the top totally covered so the water could evaporate quicker. I added a gallon or 2 of fresh water to it as soon as the level got low enough so I could. I bought spring water from Walmart for it.
Good luck
Patsy

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Water turtles have to be under water in order to swallow their food. One way to keep the aquarium clean is to feed the turtles in a dish pan or other plastic container. Put them in the container in a quiet spot and maybe cover it so they feel safe, add the food and leave them there for an hour or so. Hopefully they will eat and poop within that hour and be ready to go back to the aquarium satisfied and happy.

Yvonne

evin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
manteca, Ca
a filter is a must with turtles,it makes thier care so much easier, try to find one rated atleast twice the gallonage as your actual tank

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Ditto to the filter, I have a 125 gallon tank and I run 3 seperate filters, I have no smell and all I have to do is water changes. When I have some in smaller tanks I still use filters and I change water. Get a tank with at least 10 gallons of water per inch of shell and times that by 2 that will help with waste, but a filter is a must with water turtles. Also feeding them in a seperate container with water in it will help with waste, but stagnant water will smell if you don't have it moving/circulating. Make sure you fill the tank up to, they need more then 2 inches of water, I fill mine up and leave about 4-6" from top of dock to top of tank depending on turtle size.

George the box turtle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
for my 2 sliders i have an undergravel filter and a top mount filter rated for a larger tank just because they generate quite a mess, it has worked quite well for us. Sometimes if you do a FULL water change instead of in increments the tank will get murky for a day and then clear up and that's just part of the tank regulating its normal bacteria, etc. (atleast that's what i've been told)

Status
Not open for further replies.