red ear slider help

cj malko

I have two red ear sliders in a 50 gallon long tank i have two 40 gallon fillters and pumps but im still havein poor water qaulity i just replaced all the water and put new filters in and the water is cloudy and milky i have to stuff to add to the water and its still not helpin any help or advice would be awsome these are my first turtles ive owned

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Feed in a separate container. Most dirty smelly water eesults from uneaten food rotting in the water. By uneaten food rotting in am referring to the tiny little bits left over after the feeding frenzy of meal time

cj malko

Feed in a separate container. Most dirty smelly water eesults from uneaten food rotting in the water. By uneaten food rotting in am referring to the tiny little bits left over after the feeding frenzy of meal time
Would that cause the water to turn white

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sometimes water has to be cured before it clears up. I would start all over again, wash the gravel very well and start with clean filters. Then condition the water with supplies for this purpose purchased at the pet store. After you have a very clean aquarium, feed the turtles in a plastic tub outside the aquarium, and leave them in the tub/water for at least an hour so they can poop, etc. in the plastic tub.

(50 gallons MIGHT not be big enough for two turtles)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Would that cause the water to turn white
whitewater could simply Devendra buildup from the water. I would take Yvonne suggestion and clean everything out good and start over. ***** eating in a separate bowl. that should help greatly.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
White water is sometimes water that is absolutely FILLED with tiny, tiny bubbles. It takes a long time for them to dissipate.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I have two red ear sliders in a 50 gallon long tank i have two 40 gallon fillters and pumps but im still havein poor water qaulity i just replaced all the water and put new filters in and the water is cloudy and milky i have to stuff to add to the water and its still not helpin any help or advice would be awsome these are my first turtles ive owned

I would be sure to feed them two smaller meals during the day...I also would not feed the commercial turtle pellets as prime food source...I have had two turtles in 55 gallon tank for a couple of years and they are about 6 inches long and both do well...I offer freeze deied shrimp and crickets to them and there is nothing left over at each feeding...I offer about 3/4 cup of freeze dried bugs in the morning and about 1 cup in the evening...they are both healthy weight...I have a hanging filter designed for 75 gallon size tank that moves 300 gallons of water per hour...I pull out old filter pads and install new ones every three to four days and add water each day at about a gallon each add..then about every two weeks I drain 100 % of water and refill with all new water..I run a completely cravel free tank..the gravel just present an impaction risk and also harbors space for ick to settle in...I have half of the top of the tank cage with a climb out docking area for them to lay and bask and dry out....which is important...I also run a water heater set at 78 degrees f.