Red ear slider

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Oh man!! Don't tell me you have Pangshura too!!!! Come on!! You're building an arc down there man! Yours will be better though, because it's all chelonians and Noah didn't know about the risk of only having pairs of species.. I doubt you have just a pair of anything.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
Those are not red ear sliders. They are turtles of the genus pangshura, formerly kachuga. I think they are pangshura smithii. They are native to your general region.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think in a previous post somewhere here on the Forum, the OP said the turtle were sold to him as "Singaporean Turtle." I did a GOOGLE image search and most of the pictures that came up were of RES. But I know that at least one of them is NOT a RES. I think you are correct about the smithii designation. So now, how can we help the OP?

saquibshaikh

5 Year Member
Red

IMG_1312_zpsbb00e5d6.jpg

saquibshaikh

5 Year Member
Res

As my turtle eat chicken well..but xperienced forum member has told its harmful causing kidney stones...and worms and earth worm arent available here's..so..what shud i feed them...and is fish can be fed to them...and which veggie...can be fed

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
RE: Pic

Is this the turtle that you want help identifying?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know if anyone is sending this person pm's to help him or not. But, could any of you that know what species he has give some idea of what they can be fed and any care advice you can give. Otherwise send him a pm and let him know.

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
wellington said:
I don't know if anyone is sending this person pm's to help him or not. But, could any of you that know what species he has give some idea of what they can be fed and any care advice you can give. Otherwise send him a pm and let him know.

I sent him a PM the other day.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Ok, this turtle has absolutely been IDed! Beyond any doubt at this point. This, as was stated days ago, is Pangshura smithii, or a Brown Roofed Turtle.

A simple google search will help you identify proper food items the turtle should be fed. Care for Panshura turtles in general is considered to be close to identical to US Map Turtle Species.

They are herbivorous, and in captivity, they will eat turtle pellets, fish pellets and aquatic plants. Eric Holt keeps some, or at least kept some, and he feeds his Mazuri Freshwater Turtle Diet, Mazuri Tortoise, fish, banana, mango, cantalope, romaine and Eichhornia crassipes.

As far as housing goes, these guys should have ample space to swim and warm, filtered, clean water, as well as a basking spot, and heat and UVB bulbs over the basking site.

Status
Not open for further replies.