sneezing

Turtleneck123

I saw my Russian tortoise scratch his eyes and then sneeze. No bubbles or anything. His substrate is coconut coir, he has all the right temperatures. Is that a sign of RI?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
I saw my Russian tortoise scratch his eyes and then sneeze. No bubbles or anything. His substrate is coconut coir, he has all the right temperatures. Is that a sign of RI?
Probably just a bit of coco coir stuck in his nose or eyes, though one can't be certain.
it happens and is why some don't use coir.
I do use it and have never had problems, but I only have one tort and have used it for two neighbours little ones too.
Keep an eye on the tortoise, raise the temp a little to be on the safe side and see what happens.
Hopefully not an RI, but watch closely.

Turtleneck123

Probably just a bit of coco coir stuck in his nose or eyes, though one can't be certain.
it happens and is why some don't use coir.
I do use it and have never had problems, but I only have one tort and have used it for two neighbours little ones too.
Keep an eye on the tortoise, raise the temp a little to be on the safe side and see what happens.
Hopefully not an RI, but watch closely.

Thank you for a quick response! What substrate do you recommend changing it to?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Thank you for a quick response! What substrate do you recommend changing it to?
Like I say, I've had no problems with coir myself, but it's only a sample of three. But many other members have also reported no problems if it's kept moist and pressed down a bit. I only use coir.
Other popular substrates are orchid bark and cypress mulch, but I have never used either myself.
Take a bit of time and see what happens, the eye irritation may be due to something else.
What type of lamp do you use ? Coiled, strip or MVB ?

Turtleneck123

Like I say, I've had no problems with coir myself, but it's only a sample of three. But many other members have also reported no problems if it's kept moist and pressed down a bit. I only use coir.
Other popular substrates are orchid bark and cypress mulch, but I have never used either myself.
Take a bit of time and see what happens, the eye irritation may be due to something else.
What type of lamp do you use ? Coiled, strip or MVB ?
I used to have a coil lamp but I switched it yesterday. Can that be the cause of the sneezing too??

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I used to have a coil lamp but I switched it yesterday. Can that be the cause of the sneezing too??
No. It is just some weird myth that some won't let die. Never, across all the animal hobbies, has a single coil uvb bulb ever been tested and found dangerous. Never. Not once.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Appreciate your help, I am going to look closely and if it doesn't stop, we're going straight to he vet.
Yep, reckon that's best, but make sure it's a herp vet, one who specializes in reptiles, otherwise they sometimes just look at the internet or give bad advice.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I have notice people tend to panic about their tortoise's health. Please realize many people likely only come here when they see a problem. It probably makes them look like they have more problems that they do. But really, tortoises are very healthy animals, robust and have few issues when kept well. Heck, many stay healthy for long times in marginal conditions.

They are also hard to read. Why is he pacing? Why is he sneezing? Why didn't he eat this morning? Most times, it is because your tortoise just sneezed, like we all do. Try not to panic. If the conditions are good, he is likely fine. They yawn, they rub stuff (bedding, calcium powder, dust) from their eyes. And then it stops.

Turtleneck123

I have notice people tend to panic about their tortoise's health. Please realize many people likely only come here when they see a problem. It probably makes them look like they have more problems that they do. But really, tortoises are very healthy animals, robust and have few issues when kept well. Heck, many stay healthy for long times in marginal conditions.

They are also hard to read. Why is he pacing? Why is he sneezing? Why didn't he eat this morning? Most times, it is because your tortoise just sneezed, like we all do. Try not to panic. If the conditions are good, he is likely fine. They yawn, they rub stuff (bedding, calcium powder, dust) from their eyes. And then it stops.
I agree with you, but he started sneezing often when I changed the substrate from soil to coir, so I got worried.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Try this... wet the coir and pat it down a bit to compress it. It can be dusty.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
He sneezed twice yesterday and twice today. Is that a sign of RI????
I agree with Brian, as i mentioned earlier, make sure it's moist and press it down a bit.
I don't think four sneezes is much to worry about, but as we said, be vigilant.

Turtleneck123

I just noticed that he makes this sound where he breathes out quickly. Is that normal???

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I just noticed that he makes this sound where he breathes out quickly. Is that normal???
Yes it's normal! When a tort pulls his head in his chest can't expand because of his shell. The result is that the tort exhales and the quicker the head is pulled in the louder the huff.

It is totally normal

Turtleneck123

I JUST WENT OUSIDE AND I NOTICED THAT HE HAS BEEN PACING REALLY FAST SO I CHECKED ON HIM AND THE TIP OF HIS TAIL IS BLEEDING WHAT DO I DO?!??