So excited

Lovechell69

Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
I can’t help it. I have to share my excitement. I haven’t gotten Amara to eat hay yet. Today I put grass I cut fresh from the yard. She took right to it. I’m a step closer. I got her in November and grass wasn’t readily available. She was so young even soaking hay she refused. I had to resort to endives squash red lettuce all from whole food’s. Drew I read in your care she for baby and young tortoises to sprinkle grass on their food She wouldn’t have it. I saw her walk by a few pieces I missed taking her out of her enclosure and she nibbled at it. She started looking for more. Today I took a big handful and placed it in a pile outside of her dish. She walked over it several times and took a bite. Now she’s ignoring the ( grocery store food) and is eating the grass only. Thank you Drew. If you hadn’t put the suggestion in the care sheet about sprinkles of grass on the food it would never have led to what worked for Amara. Persistence!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Don't be discouraged. Young tortoises rarely eat hay. They don't take to it until they're bigger/older (it also depends on the species)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Well done Amara!
My leopard is about 8 or 9 and he still won't eat dried grasses no matter how I present them to him!
I have to grind it up and sprinkle it on his other leaves.
He will graze on fresh grass, but as you say that's not always available.

Lovechell69

Arkansas
Amara is a sulcata. I got her last November. I uploaded a picture awhile back. The exotic store she came from told my wife she was a year old. I beg to differ. She was a hatchling who came with issues. They were feeding her nothing but cabbage and her substrate was reptile carpet because they didn’t want to clean up a mess. Temps and lightning was horrible. She got a respiratory infection. Thanks to the forum archives and members here she bounced back. Now she’s a force to be reckoned with. I could live without her letting me know she doesn’t want me touching her lol. She’s a cutie wouldn’t ask for anything. We needed each other. I have to admit I was told about endives because I was having a hard time getting her to eat when she was sick. I was worried she would never eat grass or hay. I mixed them with squash etc but she loves the endives so much she always pulled those out first. Seeing her eat grass today was a huge milestone for her