So many questions…

Slbrlb

Location (City and/or State)
Midwest United States
Hello, I am still working on setting up my enclosure for new hatchling Hermanns arriving tomorrow. I’ve made lots of changes to lights but I have a few more questions…

Is the basking bulb and CHE too low in the enclosure? My temps are still in high 70s so I could even lower the fixtures a little more but I don’t want to be so low it causes damage.

Also the basking rock temp is 95 but the top of the rock is 105. Is 105 ok for the temp of the tortoise shell when under the basking lamp? Or do I need to lower the temp of the basking rock?

Attachments

• 2CCBB39E-04AF-49A7-AFE3-5472C2305D8C.jpeg
    2CCBB39E-04AF-49A7-AFE3-5472C2305D8C.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
  • D97AC9B9-5B62-423A-817C-C8E2652D6528.jpeg
    D97AC9B9-5B62-423A-817C-C8E2652D6528.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 14

JoFisch

Platinum Tortoise Club
Washington
Hi there. I got a Hermanns hatchling this summer. Is your enclosure covered? It looks like the top is open? The most experienced keepers on here always recommend a closed chamber, especially for hatchlings. It is easier to maintain the ambient temperature and keep humidity up which is supposed to be very important for smooth shell growth. If you search enclosures for hatchlings, you should be able to find some ideas. I made a pvc pipe frame to hang my lights and CHE from and then covered it with a shower curtain. I secured the curtain with clips, you have to make sure there aren’t places it can vent out the humidity.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You have a CHE and a basking bulb. Correct? Its possible that you need a higher wattage CHE or you need to get a 2nd one. And it looks like a "clamp lamp" in that photo. Those always fail eventually and fall into the enclosure. Make sure you secure it with zip ties or screws or with something else as insurance against that happening.
The enclosure itself is also going to be too small very soon. It is now.
Do you have a source of UVB?
If not you'll need a T5 HO strip florescent UVB linear tube.
As @JoFisch has mentioned, closing off part of the top of the enclosure will help hold in warmth and humidity.
Also. If you use the shower curtain or greenhouse type idea to close off the top, make sure that those hot light fixtures are a safe distance from it

Slbrlb

Midwest United States
You have a CHE and a basking bulb. Correct? Its possible that you need a higher wattage CHE or you need to get a 2nd one. And it looks like a "clamp lamp" in that photo. Those always fail eventually and fall into the enclosure. Make sure you secure it with zip ties or screws or with something else as insurance against that happening.
The enclosure itself is also going to be too small very soon. It is now.
Do you have a source of UVB?
If not you'll need a T5 HO strip florescent UVB linear tube.
As @JoFisch has mentioned, closing off part of the top of the enclosure will help hold in warmth and humidity.
Also. If you use the shower curtain or greenhouse type idea to close off the top, make sure that those hot light fixtures are a safe distance from it
Below is what I have set up right now. I’m getting the tortoise tomorrow so hoping I just need minor adjustments. I will definitely be increasing the enclosure size before too long. I have One basking bulb, one CHE (100 watts), and a T5 HO UVB light. The CHE will be hanging from a zoomed stand but I will also use a zip tie to make it extra secure. Is there any issue with the CHE and Basking bulb being that far into the enclosure as long as the temps are correct and monitored daily?

Attachments

• 733373C1-4809-4F00-9986-B6C5B1056996.jpeg
    733373C1-4809-4F00-9986-B6C5B1056996.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Below is what I have set up right now. I’m getting the tortoise tomorrow so hoping I just need minor adjustments. I will definitely be increasing the enclosure size before too long. I have One basking bulb, one CHE (100 watts), and a T5 HO UVB light. The CHE will be hanging from a zoomed stand but I will also use a zip tie to make it extra secure. Is there any issue with the CHE and Basking bulb being that far into the enclosure as long as the temps are correct and monitored daily?
The short answer is no.
As long as you are certain that the temperature is what you think it is.
A 100 watt CHE should be very toasty underneath.

Slbrlb

Midwest United States
The short answer is no.
As long as you are certain that the temperature is what you think it is.
A 100 watt CHE should be very toasty underneath.
Yes I have two hygrometers in the cage as well as an infared temp gun I am using to check temperatures. I plan to leave the CHE on 24/7 and only leave the basking light on during the day. Im hoping that allows for a slight temp drop at night.
One other question I need clarified. The basking temp of 95-100… is that the temp the carpace should be when basking or the temp my basking rock should be?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth

How will the UVB light be mounted? The UVB light should also be closer/next to the basking bulb so that it covers the basking area.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Something to keep in mind when you make the next enclosure is to pair the UVB with the basking area because heat plays a role in the UVB/D3 process.

Slbrlb

Midwest United States
Something to keep in mind when you make the next enclosure is to pair the UVB with the basking area because heat plays a role in the UVB/D3 process.
Thank you! I will probably get a different top soon that doesn’t leave so much of the corners open and I will make sure to move the uv light closer to the basking spot.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Good idea! Great job and improvements. I sure didn’t have those improvements right away. Luckily I learned in good timing to make my changes and now both my tortoises are extremely happy with me and their enclosures.

Slbrlb

Midwest United States
Good idea! Great job and improvements. I sure didn’t have those improvements right away. Luckily I learned in good timing to make my changes and now both my tortoises are extremely happy with me and their enclosures.
Yes! I am so glad I found this forum before bringing my tortoise home. I did a lot of returning and buying new items for the enclosure before I finally got it right.