So much for starting the enclosure this weekend! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SE Michigan
So on Thursday at about 4pm. A HUGE storm rolled through. Tornado sirens and all. Well, we don't EVER get tornados in michigan. (I think 1 in 30+ years?) and it didnt even touch down. Hail stones the size of quarters, rained for 7+hours straight.

So it knocked the power off in my area. So that night, I call the electrical company (DTE). And got an estimate on when it would be restored. They said "It should be back up tonight by 11:30pm-midnight". Ok that isn't bad

Then I call on at Noon-ish on Friday, still no power. They now said "We are experiencing problems we didn't foresee and expect the power to be back on by 3:30pm-11:30pm" Sooo Midnight rolls around, I call again. "We estimate the power to be back on by 2-4am". 9am rolls by and I call for the last time. "We expect the power to be on by 6-8pm on saturday".

Luckily the power came back on just now at about 5pm. And luckily it was sunny so I could take my lizards outside for their UVB.

Bad part: Basement flooded with 3-4" on water because of the pump being off due to no electricity. So tomorrow I get to go through the basement and see what is destroyed. And I couldn't really feed the lizards for 3 days because they won't eat outside and not hot enough inside. (80degrees). Tried offering them some bugs, but wouldn't eat.

So their estimate was off by almost 3 days, pretty ridiculous huh?

Oh and the main part is. Since all this happened I couldn't work on the enclosure. Had way too much stuff to do due to the power going out. What a sucky weekend.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
That sounds like a mess!

Maybe you need to have a disaster plan for your animals? I have hand warmers for my Trevor in case the power is out and I need to warm him up. They would be tough to use as I'd have to keep a very close eye on him (since it's belly heat), but better than nothing. I want to get a generator but they are expensive.

M

Maggie Cummings

I keep the hand warmers and I use jars with hot water to keep my smaller guys warm. The jars work really well...

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
maggie3fan said:
I keep the hand warmers and I use jars with hot water to keep my smaller guys warm. The jars work really well...

Well it's 80-85 in their cage, which is fine for ambient temps. But they need 92-100 for basking and my guys are very picky in terms of eating if the temperature is not right.

They ate well tonight though and are doing fine. I only feed them 3-4 days a week as adults. And I had just fed them on thursday, so they only went 3 days without food.

I am not looking forward to tomorrow ugh.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
What a terrible weekend you must have had :(.
I hate it when they say the power will come back at a certain time and it does not.
I am glad you are all doing good!
As everybody said, you should get hand warmers or a generator :)

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Lol sounds just like South Africa, except that they turned off power as they liked not because of storms !!!! I soooo understand the feeling!!! Glad its back on though.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Seiryu, sounds like your weekend really sucked. You are in Michigan. I would suggest you definitely have a disaster/power outage plan for your Reptiles. I live in So CA and watched the papers and bought a small donut type generator (fairly inexpensive) just enough to run heat lamps up to 1200 watts I think. My food may spoil but my torts will be warm. So a plan, Generator, hand warmers, jars with warm water placed in the pen something that can keep them warm if the power goes out in the winter. Now is the time to make your plans.

Glad everyone was ok. Sorry you may have damaged stuff in your basement. I remember those times when I lived back East some of them really sucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.